Existing Member?

You Only Live Once My adventures through East Africa. Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into!

I Lived to Tell the Tale

UGANDA | Wednesday, 18 July 2007 | Views [657] | Comments [1]

Ready to raft the mighty Nile

Ready to raft the mighty Nile

I'm recovering, enjoing a slow morning, after a full day of rafting (approx 30km) down the Nile river.  We hit 12 groups of rapids all together including 5 grade 5 rapids.  I've NEVER seen water like this...it was crazy!!!  At one point when i was in the front I think I took in at least a gallon of water in through my nose.  It was really a great time, except for the 20 seconds or so I spent trapped under the boat after we flipped and then ran into another set of rapids. 

Parents, don't freak out -- the company (run by autralians) is very reputable and saftey precautions were well above anything I've ever seen done while rafting in P.A.  Most impressive were the guides (one in each boat) who pretty much steered us the whole way and kept us alive.  There was also a team of kyakers to pluck us out of the rapids once we were tossed out of the boat.  And -- for the record -- everyone wore helmets.

After rafting they loaded us on vans & trucks (after we grabbed as many free beers as we could carry) and carted us back to the campsite.  It was kind of crowded but we managed to find a place for our tent, even if it was on a 65 degree incline.

So, from here we'll figure out how to get to Mbale and then onto Sipi Falls after which we'll head to spend shabbat with the Abayudaya. 

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

I well remember rafting w/ you near pittsburgh when I went overboard in the cold, cold water. I only wondered if I'd ever see my children again. I couldn't figure up from down. and boy, was it cold! what is the nile like?

  shelley Jul 19, 2007 11:32 PM

About hnmenk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.