Existing Member?

Heywoods1976

Now in Oaxaca, Mexico

MEXICO | Monday, 27 October 2008 | Views [458]

We have spent the last couple of days in a large town about 8 hours on a bus south of Mexico City.

The town is famous for crafts and Arts.  There are lots of galleries and we have been on a tour today of local crafts in the surrounding villages.  We saw an old aztec temple and burial site today, and also went to the Catedral and the monestry attached to it which has been turned into a museum on the area.

We tried Grasshoppers today.  There are lots of ladies selling them from big bowls on their heads.  They taste like wet straw except for the chilli ones which taste like hot wet straw!

We also had Tequila worms today at the tequile making village, not very tasty, tequila was better.

Got caught up in a classic car rally that had finished for that particular day in Oaxaca.  Got chatting to a few of the rally drivers (about 65-70 years old) very interesting American guys on a bit of a boys holiday it seamed.  One of them gave me their medal for the day, a great souviner.

We have decided to go to San Cristobal next, apparantly there are some amazing Gorge walks there that rival the Grand Canyon.

The town of Oaxaca pronounced Wahacker, is full of old spanish colonial history and is very clean.  We have enjoyed spending time here.  Our hotel has a lovely courtyard with lots of tropical flowers and grapefruit trees that we have sat out and enjoyed breakfast on every morning. 

We saw 2 weddings and a beauty pagent yesterday.  They close off the road and there are dancers and fireworks and lots of music, very colourful.

Its Day of the Dead here in a couple of days so there is masses of halloween type things on sales here, skeletons domanating the theme.  It´s all quite good fun though, the decorations are quite humerous.  We are looking forward to the 31st to see what is going to happen.

Signing off now as we have to catch the bus.....

Love Nicola x (and Steven x)

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.