Existing Member?

Heywoods1976

Mexico Cont.....San Cristobal

MEXICO | Tuesday, 4 November 2008 | Views [516]

From Oaxaca - we jumped on our first overnight bus journey - 12 hours to San Cristobal de Las Casas. We left at 21:30 and our first impressions of over night bus trips were not great. Jut as we had been warned - the air conditioning was too cold, the film was on too loud and we were winding our way up pretty steep mountain roads (at a fair speed). Nicola nearly had a huff, but there was just one film, the air conditioning was soon turned off and we (after an hour) soon got on a much better road.  Rest of the journey uneventful.

We arrived at 10:00 the next mornining - to cloud - something neither of us had asked for in mexico. The cloud was not that much to do with the daily turns of the weather - more to do with the fact that we were well over 2000m up.  We investigated the town - went to the market (same stuff as Oaxaca), checked out some of the churches and had a slow day.  BEfore the end of the day - we did book ourselves a trip to the Sumidero Canyon - about an hours drive away and some 1000m lower.

Firstly dropping 1000m buys you 30 degree heat and lovely sunshine - which picked up the spirits straight away. We then jumped on a wooden speed boat - with two very powerful engines and powered down river.  The scenery in the Sumidero canyon is amazing - huge rock faces (1km up at its highest), lush forest all around, waterfalls dissipating in to spray by the time they hit the flowing river. The high speed boat was pretty good fun too.  The best was yet to come - as our return trip was to focus more on the local animals, a few birds and iguanas - but more importantly - the crocodiles. Lots of them sunning themselves in the sunshine - not doing alot, but we managed to get pretty close to them (from the safety of our boat) and have some pretty good pictures. Which may or may not be attached to the blog (still getting to grips with the technology).

Food in San Cristobal, I am afraid went to comfort food - not quite as keen on trying the local cuisine when you are surrouned by cloud. The next day we attemp our first Central American border crossing.

Tags: mexico

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.