Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

A few more days left

THAILAND | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [293]

My last Sunday here. Though it doesn't matter which day is it. This is the place  where the concept of time becomes less significant. I follow certain basic routine though.  I need my black coffee in mornings, sometimes along with breakfast, sometimes not.   Then I determine whether I wanna go to the beach or morning swim sooner or later not at all. It is about deciding where to eat and what. Every day feels like a Sunday.  There is always relaxing  atmosphere but it is not quiet as such. The parties go on non stop every single night. The real paradise for young packbackers. I had  2 coctails on Friday but I just can turn my party gear on even though I had a sip form the bucket. I chatted with an English packbacker travelling in Asia with his buddy, they left to look for a party on the beach, I went to sleep in my bungalow.  

The only quiet moment is somewhere after the break of dawn when the parties have quieted down and before the people have waken up and started moving around.  People are going away and new people coming in. In the small piece of land in the front of the bungalow village the workers are building new bungalows I guess. They start pretty early every single day. Several kitchens are open 24/7. In some ways this island never sleeps. Yet is relaxing and slow.   

Yesterday I visited Bang Bao, the Fisherman  village.  Better and more expensive shops and the best of all, great seafood restaurants. I wasn't hungry when I got there but I had to try some and broke of my own good habits. I don't usually eat heavy lunch in this climate as it makes me really drowsy. A night before I stuffed myself at the BBQ buffet. Oh well instead of a light seafood snack I ate fried mackarel in red curry, heavy and spicy, extremely delicous. yam. Downside, I felt bloated, too hot and tired. The first time I wished it would have been cooler.  I had a cup of americano, papaya shake and ice cream for dinner. No need a big dinner. By the evening, rain and thundering cleared the air si I felt a bit better.

I have got 2 things I might wanna do before I go: try Finnish sauna and visit waterfalls.  I don't know about waterfalls, I never found a shop selling proper foot wear.  I doubt I wanna try to get up there on my less comfy flipflops. my foot is still a bit sensitive after I hurt it while snorkling 2 weeks ago, but I can walk normally again.


As my third leg of the trip is drawing closer, I have spent some time in the internet doing some research. I have got only 2 weeks in Australia but I though I wanna see some more beside Melbourne and Sydney. I was considering Tasmania. But I am giving up an idea  now. It is pretty expensive to get there and might not be worth the effort. Maybe it would be well worth of the effort but not the money. Another thing I need to consider.If it was something I defininately wanna see, I'd go there regardless the cost. but I am not positive if that is the case.

People travel different ways, some people squeeze in as many places as possible to tick a box they've been there but I rather visit fewer places and really be there.  I am not even  checking out that many attractions but just "be" there, whatever thant means. I admit, I may be missing quite a bit.  There are billions of great things to see just pick and choose as the fact is you cannot see everything. The other good side travelling solo,  just do it your way!   I haven't yet studied any Lonely Planet guide book. I might get one for New Zealand though. But I am still here in cosy island in Thailand. the batteries almost recharged to face new challenges but before that I fully enjoy the last moments here. It is time to have my Americano coffee along with American kind of banana pancake with chocolate and honey. ( American like pancake means thick and sponge like but I have learnt to like them as well.    

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.