Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

3rd week in paradise (almost) :-(

THAILAND | Tuesday, 27 March 2012 | Views [288]

Time flies here even though I am doing nothing. My Finnish friends have gone back home. The weather has been a bit cloudy but the sun comes out everyday. Whether it is sunny or cloudy it is always hot enough. Right now I am wondering whether is possible to survive in temperatures below 25C. I am confident that yes since I have stayed alive till now and have lived in cold places most of my life and less than a month here.

Funnily enough I am actually looking forward to working in New Zealand. I just have to find a job first. I am excited and taking that as a future adventure as well.  But I'll leave the registration with agencies and filling in appliciation till April. It is too early as I won't be in NZ until 20th of April. Right now I still want to live in this moment and hang around, try banana splits and pancakes in different restaurants. It is amazing what sort of different variety you can get under the same food name in the same island. Thanks to that habit I am getting back to my normal weight.  As for pancakes haven't found the favorite one yet and I am running out of the restaurants. I guess I gotta go back to Finland for the favorite ones.

I left a visit to a dentist to the last minute before my trip and didn't have time to do all the work required so I decided to try a dentist here  for teeth cleaning and polishing because it was really troubling me. I leave 2 missing filling till later. Don't want to travel back and forth to the dental clinic and go through pain.  I have more pleasant things to do here.

I had to go back to the post office sort out an address confusion with one of the parcels I sent.  Fingers crossed that my precious Indian saree will find its way to Finland now. We will see in 2 months. I wasn't too excited to go back to the post office so I accepted a lift from a local tourist agent by a scooter. Jesus, I was afraid. Firstable my driver was wearing headphones and listening music while driving and apparently 20 somethings prefer driving fast. No that it came as a surprise but still. I don't know much about bikes and scooters but I assume you are unable to break speed records with them but I just felt it was too fast on narrow curvy roads. I thanked my guadian angels and gave some cash for petrol and told him I'd take a taxi home. "Oh you are too scared" yes indeed.

This afternoon I was to learn that perhaps I was afraid for a reason. On the way to the dental clinic, I saw a nasty scooter accident. I was sitting in the back of the taxi as a local looking bloke was driving from the opposite direction to the bend a way too fast or maybe he had a problem with brakes. The weird sound  coming from the  scooter caught my attention and happened to look to that direction. It is extremely unpleaseant sight when you can see that crash is inevitable and there is nothing can be done to prevent it. The landrover or jeep a big car anyway, that was driving behind the taxi had stopped to the bend. The biker was driving the bend too wide or simply lost the control of the scooter and hit the front cornet of the car. Of course he wasn't wearing helmet, I dunno what happened to him. It might not have been a fatal accident, bad enough I'd say. The car coming right after stopped and hid the view and the taxi moved on as there were 2 cars to sort out of the horrible situation. I truly hope that he will be fine. I doubt that accidents are rare here but it is always terrible. Perhaps speed was a factor why he lost the control of the vehicle or maybe it was a technical problem but you are better beaware out there.      

A dentist  treatment was cheaper and appeared as any Western dentistno complains. Cleaning is never a pleasure, I didn't mind pain as much sa usual after I saw the accident. I don't think you will see me sitting behind a scooter without a helmet around here anymore. Neither learning to drive a scooter is on my to do list anywhere near in the future. I walked a few kilometers yesterday but today after wandering around in shops trying to find runners I gave up and flagged a taxi to take me back to Lonely beach.  The road is so narrow and there is no space for pedestrians after the shops in Klong Brao. I guess I'll wait for my regular working out after I've settled down in NZ.I do my daily short little walks wearing flipflops and simply keep laying on beach, in my bungalow and in the restaurants.

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.