Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

Camel safari and a night in desert

INDIA | Thursday, 9 February 2012 | Views [284]

I am still here in Golden city and safely back from desert. 

There are all sort of different safaris available but I had pre-booked one I got with the package. The starting point was somewhere 30min jeep drive away. The camel riding part wasn't that long but it was fun. We were guided by a bunch of little kids  to somewhere  on dunes and sat down and relax while awaiting for sunset. I found desert extremely relaxing and tranquil. However, after the sunset cold sneaked into the paradise. 

We rode back to the starting point on camels to have a dinner party, food and music and the best: fire. We had a choice to stay overnight in a hut or in desert. Since I came all the way here I chose desert and under the stars not in a tent. The thick blankets were provided but unfortunately not army winter gear which would be the most suitable here. The night was cold and my flu didn't make me feel better either. But I did my best to close all that out of my mind and focus on clear sky, starts and the moon. It was quiet and peaceful there. Apparently there had to be something  why I was willing to pay for freezing in desert without roof above my head.

I do like camels, they seem so calm looking under their long lushes, making funny noises and chewing leaves like cows. Once they are down they seem to be on that position for ages no sign of impatience and restlessness. 

We got got back by a camel cart in the morning and headed back to the town. It is another sunny day. Very late tonight I ll be moving to other city Jodpur. It is gonna be 4 hours in overnight train which means another night sleep wasted but I'll catch up the sleep later on, I l have time for that.        

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.