Existing Member?

My African adventure

Last days at the orphanage

GHANA | Friday, 8 January 2010 | Views [593] | Comments [5]

Monday saw us back at the orphanage after our NY break. Any order we had introduced - buying boxes to store nappies and baby clothes, dustbins for the rubbish strewn around - has gone out of the window and nappies were nowhere to be seen and more disturbingly, we couldn't find any clean clothes to change the babies after bathing them. Still, we turned up to find one of the older children, 12 year old Benjamin, had a massive hole in his shin down to the bone. He wouldn't tell anyone how he it happened but we at least were able to take him to the clinic.

Once Madame realised she had clinic escorts, she piled a further three children on to us. Zoe who was very listless and had V&D; Mia  who had had a convulsion the previous day and baby Lena now 4 months old,with various lumps on her head. In the heat of the morning, 3 volunteers, each carrying one of the babies, plus Isaac one of the teachers, who was showing us where to go, and Benjamin made a sorry line along the road to the clinic - only to be told when we got therethat it was a private clinic so they couldn't treat the two - Benjamin and Mia - who insurance cards but could treat Zoe and Lena - at a price of course - who weren't covered. Seemed perverse but we couldn't do anything other than leave and go to the public clinic located on the other side of the orphanage. By this time we were all hot and bothered and poor Benjamin was struggling to walk,so we decided to take a taxi. The taxi driver we spoke to, knew the kids were all from the orphanage and were sick -and still wanted to overcharge us by about 10x, to take us the 500 metres or so. Contrast this with a taxi ride that Kerstin and I had had in Accra when the taxi driver, on learning we were volunteers,refused to accept our money for the considerably longer ride. But TIA .....

So we walked ... we were seen surprisingly quickly - all of us trooped into the "Records Room" where we had to explain the problems of each child in turn.Next we sat and waited for the nurse who was pleasant, knowledgeable - and had the measure of Madame! So it transpired that my charge Zoe had malaria and worms, Mia they weren't sure but gave her paracetemol, Lena turned out to have psoriasis and poor Benj finally confessed to how he'd hurt himself - using agarden implement that he hadn't used correctly. Medicines given out toall, wound was dressed (he was to go back next day for an injection) and we were on our way back to the orphanage. We each explained to Madame about the medication of our charges, and she said she'd take care of it herself. The nurse had advised Madame last week she should have a person dedicated to looking after sick children ensuring they take their medicine correctly, have someone responsible andto whom the kidswould go when ioll. Needless to say, this hasfallen on deaf ears.

Tuesday was our final day and to mark the occasion, Kerstin and I took in some goodies for all the kids, not just those in our care, but all those who hadn't gone "home" for the Xmas break, so about 50 in all. After being told that Benjamin's wound was getting bigger and it really needed to be looked after otherwise he'll get septacemia (spelling?) and seeing that all 3 babes who'd gone to the clinic the day before looked slightly better, we went into the dining room with all 50 children and handed out the various goodies - then all the boys and girls stood up and sang thank you songs for about 10 minutes, clapping all the while. Madame had initially told us we couldn't take pix but must have mellowed a bit as she gave us permission at this stage. Singing, clapping and eating over, they all trooped out and we decided to ask Madame if we could have our photo taken with her - you can see for yourselves now what she looks like! She even gave us a hug but I don't recall her saying thanks ...

Then it was time to say goodbye to our babies and that was naturally the hard part. Each one has touched me in some way - Kwame (so called as he was born on a Saturday) has loads of energy and smiles beatifully as he pushes over the other kids to get what he wants. Kofi (born on a Friday) often to be found hanging round Madame's feet knowing she'll give him some food. Richard with face markings which signify that he won't come back to a second life). The other Richard with a chubby face and lovely disposition. Mia (named after the main benefactor of the orphanage). Zoe who's really intelligent, understands everything but her physical development is very slow. Miama who was the oldest of the babies and is really quite aggressive - but it's a good way to get what she wants. Pamela at 9 months can't crawl and her leg muscles are very weak but she is totally adored by all the volunteers. Baby Lena is the youngest at 4 months, is similarly engaging and often makes her presence felt by crying! Omar also cries a lot but it's hardly surprising when all 10 of them are vying for attention ...

Sadly for me, Zoe was asleep due to her malerial condition so I had to say goodbye to her sleeping body and of course was overwhelmed with emotion as I wondered how her life will turn out, with Madame as her role model.

Then we were off - though I did promise to return before going home to the UK, not least to say good bye to Zoe and to Sofia who wasn't there this week.

I still want to make a contribution of some sort that will help the orphans so I intend to talk to Tina at the office who organises all the volunteers, to see what's needed and what's possible. I'd like to start with having a proper enclosure for the goats and to get rid of the dogs and cats, all of which contribute to the ill health of the children. I don't suppose Madame will agree to this so until it happens, anything I do will be paying lip service to progress so I'll see what comes out of my conversation with Tina. Watch this space ...

Comments

1

Well, you well and truly managed to make me cry with this one!! I felt your emotion on the day you were leaving. So now what, what are you going to do with yourself and what are your plans - i know you told me before you left but i cannot remember. also, i am sending you an email so hopefully you will be able to read it soon. big huge kisses and oh yes, a kiss from the lovely David in the sauna!! x

  Alex L Jan 9, 2010 1:21 AM

2

Hi Helen
It must be upsetting to have to leave- and frustrating that you can see how much needs to be done.
Here, we are snowed in! There is more snow on the way and talk of grit and salt running out and power shortages. So you are well out of this winter! However all is well in Ambridge as their micro-climate has meant no mention of snow whatsoever.
I hope you are able to organise some help for the orphans you have left behind.
Barbara x

  Barbara Williams Jan 9, 2010 1:53 AM

3

Helen, I can hear your utter frustration with your impotence against a culture of disappearing £££/supplies - since my return to the UK, I have consistently refused to donate to Aid Agencies as aid too often just "disappears". BUT it is not all like that so don't get too despondent- it 'just' all needs targetting.... and I do know that is a HUGE issue.

There are other approaches to improving the life at the orphanage, which do not involve donating physical resources which Madam can sell.
My son had that same issue as you when he was in Tanzania, of provideing resources which just vanished(usually into the local market, along with the donated clothes from Aid Agencies) - he ended up doing something similar to your idea - financing and organising "capital" projects ... in your case, animal enclosures.....much harder for Madam to sell whilst also providing employment for local builders - Great idea!!
Have they got electricity because if not, financing its installation can made a huge difference (That's what made the impact on my project) and again, she can't appropriate it for her own profit.) Ditto mains water although I do know that this is much harder and much more expensive. These kind of things do rely on someone trustworthy to implement and oversee the project - perhas your local volunteer co-ordinator (Seth?) could identify someone?

On my return to my project in the year following my initial placement, I could see where every penny had been spent of the money I had raised ..... and the impact of that money continues to reverberate in a virtuous circle - I heard just last week of further expansion of the project which would not have been possible without that initial inflow of funds. So don't get too discouraged, it can be done but you're right - built in to all of your thinking is TIA!!!!

Your photos recreate Ghana here at my keyboard - they have reawakened my drive to do it all again ...... so much so that I am sitting here planning a possible placement in Nepal!! Thank you for your blogs and I look forward to travellers' tales to come.

Be safe
Wendy x

  Wendy Jan 10, 2010 1:28 AM

4

This sounds like an experience to conjure with! But now you are blessed I feel sure all will be well. And I will add a career option of fetish priest to those I discuss with my children. The elves and all could be arranged, and it would be useful to have someone to hand with some more-than-human powers, as well as a pineapple farm to boot!

Mrs O H

  Mrs O H Jan 11, 2010 7:41 PM

5

Oh, what a story! Isn't it extraordinary how quickly we feel a responsibility for others? And how strong your bond is with these children? It must be true for Madam too - she didn't have to run this orphanage, but she does, and she uses her wiles to get her volunteers to contribute more than they should, so I do admire her in many ways. She doesn't walk away (though she clearly could do more and do what she does better). Swedru sounds like a profound and extraordinary experience. The photos are great, they show a dimension which words can't cover. And your emotions and human love come across - I so want to hug you!

All love

Mrs O H

  Mrs O H Jan 11, 2010 7:46 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.