Existing Member?

My African adventure

Bad guys vs good guys

GHANA | Tuesday, 29 December 2009 | Views [446] | Comments [10]

Today I went to the Arts and Crafts market to buy a few bits and pieces and was unlucky enough to have my purse stolen by a random chancer. Not sure how it happened as I always keep my rucksack firmly closed but if people want something enough ...

I reported it straightaway and the very helpful man in the tourist office at the market, also happened to run one of the shops there. He gave me some jewellery as he felt not only sorry for me but highly embarrassed that it happened in his country. I was overcome with his generosity.

Compared to the babes in the orphanage, I know it's churlish even to complain - but it's left me with a slightly bad taste in my mouth. Mission now is to replace purse and contents and have already cancelled my Visa card.

One other thing to add - our "home" town of Swedru is under siege and we aren't able to return today as all homes and gates are firmly closed. Our host mother has strongly advised us to stay away until at least tomorrow. It seems some violence has taken place though not sure yet what it is ... Will update accordingly

Comments

1

The Ghana News Agency says something about some violence at a bar at Boxing Day (http://www.ghananewsagency.org/s_social/r_10832/).
Meanwhile, loving your blog, Hum, and very very impressed by your adventerousness. Brilliant shit (as your sons might say).

  Nik Dec 29, 2009 6:01 PM

2

Sorry to hear this. Keep safe. xx

  Suzi G Dec 30, 2009 6:01 AM

3

I am so sad to think of violence in Swedru :
"Reports say clashes between the Zongo community at Agona Swedru and the indigenes of the area have resulted in the death of two persons.
The Zongo community allegedly got infuriated following the death of a member in some disturbances at a drinking spot. An eyewitness told Joy News colleagues of the deceased from the Zongo community in an attempt to avenge the death of their member attacked the drinking spot, destroying properties.He said the home of the owner of the spot was also attacked and that there was general insecurity in the area.The police have confirmed the incident but said adequate measures had been put in place to prevent the escalation of violence. The police reinforcement had also been called to beef up security."

I was also so sad that you had your purse nicked at the the Arts & Crafts Market (I bought so much tut there, and a couple of nice things!) and that your friend had her camera stolen in Swedru market. I remember telling you that there were few places in the world where I had felt so safe and wonder whether you have just been incredibly unlucky or the situation has deteriorated (or maybe I was incredibly naive ........ altho I don't think so as none of the volunteers had any such problems during my stay) - how horrid! Never mind, your Xmas trip sounds great - your email said you were heading off to Elmina - it's certainly worth the trip but try and get to Cape Coast as well - it's very near. It was one of the most chastening experiences I had, carrying the white man's guilt for the horrors of the slave trade - I just wanted to shout "It wasn't MY ancestors - they were ploughing the steppes of Russia" but I just stood there feeling unspeakably guilty!
Happy new year and keep safe x

  Wendy Dec 30, 2009 6:40 AM

4

Just caught up with your highs and lows of the past few days. Such is life... hope you get back to orphanage - cant remember when you are due to leave there - what plans ? Happy 2010 !

  Sue A Dec 31, 2009 12:54 AM

5

Stay safe and Happy New Year to you.........

  GK Jan 1, 2010 9:47 PM

6

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. Nice to hear of the kind response though. We still freeze in UK. Light dustings of snow now, not the stuff that forced me to walk the 4 miles home from the station last week. Last day of hols today. Happy new year to you and see you in 2010. Stay safe. Love Annette P

  Annette P Jan 3, 2010 7:20 PM

7

Hi Helen!
What an eventful start to the New Year.
I echo the above sentiments- stay safe- and all the best for 2010.
Jeck still going strong in the Laurels, but Hellin has finally realised what a toad Leon is. Nothing else exciting from Ambridge- as usual.
Barbara x

  Barbara Williams Jan 3, 2010 10:00 PM

8

Just catching up with your news - stay safe in 2010 x

  Tracy Hammond Jan 4, 2010 2:00 AM

9

Hi Helen
Just got your blog details from Suzi G and had a half hour absorbed in them, what a great experience though gruelling to face the deprivation and limits of
what one can do about it, poor babies. Life seems very ordinary (and lucky) here by comparison. Hope you weren't in the market today - the World Service reported some horrible fire in an Accra (sp?) market. Those beaches.... Love Jane F

  Jane Foreman Jan 4, 2010 7:41 AM

10

Hi and happy new year to you, Helen. What a way to start! I hope all is ok with you and the orphanage. Now I've finally got your blog address it's been an interesting read and lovely looking at the pics. And inspiring! It rekindles my interest in doing something along these lines in the future.
Have fun and stay safe!
Cherry

  Cherry Jan 5, 2010 7:20 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.