Existing Member?

My African adventure

Shops to amuse you

GHANA | Sunday, 20 December 2009 | Views [440] | Comments [1]

After yesterday's sad tales, I thought I'd lighten the blog somewhat by sending you some pix of shops that have struck me as particularly amusing.

Pic 1 is for Keith, IT man spectaculaire, AKA Fix IT! See the name of the shop ...

Pic 2 is called G-d's Way and is a chemical store - i.e. a pharmacy. Most of the shops in Swedru have religious names. They are astonishingly superstitious and believe that if they call their shops with reference to the Almighty and if they pray often and long enough, all will become good. If only ...

Pic 3 is one for Ruth Carroll - Call me cool Beauty Salon. This is next door to where I'm staying and I smile every time I walk past. Hope it brings a smile to your face too!

Pic 4 is Doctor Jesus, another pharmacy. Due to the state of health of most Ghanaians, there seems to be a preponderence of pharmacies, all doing a roaring trade

Pic 5 is Grace of G-d Ent - a book store, though you'd be hard put to recognise it. Another "religious" name ...

Pic 6 is for Maggi. Enjoy!!

I'm shortly off to meet one of the bosses of TV3, where my friend Forgive works. They are keen on putting together a programme of the orphanage and want to visit it and see for themselves - as well as interview me, so I may be famous at last. Will let you know next time I blog, assuming my TV commitments don't take up all my spare time!!

Thanks again for the comments about yesterday's story. It's good to know that you also care and see the injustice of it all. By being here and making you and others aware of the situation, then it's worth it. Hopefully we CAN make a difference.

Love to all ... and happy Christmas to those of you who celebrate it.

Comments

1

Are the pharmacies a mix of western and local medicines? How do people afford what they have to sell?

I loved the names and the colour and appearance of the shops and the spirit you see when you look at them.

Here it continues cold and we are all bustling about getting ready for a few days off. What will Christmas bring to Swewdru?

All love

Mrs O H

  Mrs O H Dec 21, 2009 10:08 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.