Existing Member?

My African adventure

Where in the world ...

GHANA | Thursday, 12 November 2009 | Views [745] | Comments [3]

OK, it now seems real. I've been told that my placement is with the Nyamekye Orphanage in Swedro, where I'll be looking after babies and children - feeding, bathing, changing nappies, teaching the kids etc. I wonder if I'll want to bring one or two of them home with me ...

The good news is that I'm staying in a compound near the orphanage with other volunteers - and there's a WC. The not-so-good news is that there's no running water and the hours are from 7.00 to 5.00. Those of you who know me well, will understand that this latter may be the biggest challenge I face - isn't 7.00 a.m. the middle of the night?

Oh well, as it gets dark early and there's often no electricity, I daresay I'll retire early enough that I'll spring to life at 6 a.m.!

Comments

1

I had a look on Google Maps - Swedro is a biggish place, and I see that Nyamekye means God's Gift - a good name for an orphanage. I'll be thinking of you starting work at 7am, though as you say you may well follow the rhythm of the day more.

Mrs O H

  Mrs O H Nov 23, 2009 4:58 PM

2

Looking forward to following your adventure. I wish you well. Have to add the mornings are the best time of day Helen!

  Tracy H Nov 24, 2009 5:42 AM

3

Swedru is a great place - noisy, buzzy, busy and very African. Expect shouts of "Obruni" (white person) following you wherever you go from the local children - you are a source of never-ending fascination to them!! And watch out for the gullies along the main Swedru streets - believe me, you do NOT want to fall in them!! Enjoy the fou fou, survive the banku and have a wonderful time!!! x

  Wendy Nov 29, 2009 4:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.