Existing Member?

hither/thither A journal of my travels in 2008 I will be traveling to: New Zealand Costa Rica India East Africa

Malaria and me!

INDIA | Saturday, 7 June 2008 | Views [2093] | Comments [1]

I hadn't been feeling too well for about week on and off. Our last night in Nairobi I started having some cramps and what not (I'll let you use your imagination for the definition of "what not") But we had already bought or tickets on an overnight bus to Kampala. At midnight we boarded our bus and my cramping INSTANTLY got worse. I had a fever. I felt like I was going to crap my pants. I couldn't sleep at all and at four in the morning I had 'an emergency' and asked the bus driver to pull over on the side of the road. I imagined lions and strange hoofed and horned animals plucking me from my crouched position on the side of the road but anything would be better than how I felt that instant. I ran behind a little road side kiosk and dropped my pants. unfortunately everyone on the bus woke up and thinking it was a bathroom brake got off the bus so they were all standing around me, but what could I do? ANYWAY, it didn't help. I was still ill and didn't get any sleep. We rolled into Kampala and got a room and I felt crappy all day. The next day feeling a little better we planned what to do for Paul's birthday. We got a cabin at a resort in the middle of Queen Elizabeth National Park, where monkeys ran across our roof and hippos growled in the middle of the night. We swam and saunaed and just generally relaxed. On a nature hike we went to a bat cave that was FILLED with bats. You could hear them hissing and flapping their wings as you approached and it was literally thousands (I haven't been able to download photos yet, but when I do... oh then you'll believe me!) It was insane. This whole time I still wasn't feeling well.
Finally when we were back from our little vacation I had another episode and this time I went to the doctor.
Where I found out I had Malaria.
I HAVE MALARIA.
So, I decided to come back to Kampala where there is some medical facilities and wait until I am off the medication and see if my Malaria has gone away.
I still feel like crap of course, but hopefully not for much longer.
And now I've been on the computer too long.
I haven't found a good computer for downloading photos yet, but hopefully soon...
Sometime this week we are going to fly to Rwanda and then move on to Tanzania to meet up with Christy and Kim.
I hope everyone is doing well.
More to come...
heartrl

Comments

1

hey - i'm finally getting to read some of your adventures. you may already know that you are an amazing writer; but it never hurts to hear it, right?
YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER. you make me laugh, you make me think, you make me jealous! i am not, however, jealous of your current malarial state. i'm very sorry to hear it and i hope your liver is purging parasites as we speak - so to speak. get the fuck well, will ya? and i can't wait to hear more hilarious accounts of ventures both mis- and ad- ! hope to hear them in person sometime soon(ish)!

  stand Jun 13, 2008 5:29 AM

About heartrl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.