Existing Member?

hither/thither A journal of my travels in 2008 I will be traveling to: New Zealand Costa Rica India East Africa

OOOH GOD, UGALI!

INDIA | Saturday, 7 June 2008 | Views [2411] | Comments [19]

Well, here I am again about to apologize for my tardiness in updating and trying to put into words my latest experiences. I promise you, this time my excuse is good! AND: OH THE DRAMA, OH THE SUSPENSE!
Read on...
Where do I begin?
How about here:
Watoto Wa Baraka

After Deb left from Nairobi National Park where we saw some great wildlife we headed into Nairobi to meet up with the orphanage founder and supervisor who was to take us to the village of Pundamillia in central Kenya. We met up with another volunteer Mimi who happened to be from New York as well and headed out to meet the other two volunteers who were enjoying there day off in a small town I would get to know as it was the only place to go on our day off, Thika (famous from the literary connection "The Flaming Trees of Thika")
All together there were five us. Mimi from New York; Amy from all over the world (AMAZING! This girl is first class with tons of amazing/crazy stories including kidnappings in Sudan and Hotel diving in Mauritius); Niesha from Singapore and then Paul and I.
The orphanage houses 9 orphans (more arrived as we were leaving); Four staff members, two pigs, a handful of really obnoxious chickens a cow and a mother/daughter cat combination that was the bane of our existence; well, really it was the ugali that got to us the most...
The experience was a mixed bag that was mostly good.
The kids were AMAZING. Priceless. I fell in love with them and wanted to put them in my bags and take them with me.
Of course there were the stereotypical moments that come with working in remote villages. Dusty red roads and misty mornings. Our days were filled with digging, the never ending task of getting water from the well to use all day, then more digging, and getting to know the volunteers.
In the morning we would get up and have a piece of bread and African tea- hot milk run through a small bit of tea, almost chai like. If I woke up early enough I would walk with the kids to school. A small building about half an hour away along a red dirt path that was littered with TINY kids. I swear all the kids in the village were midgets. I've never seen such small children. And they wore these ridiculous hoods that made them look even more ridiculously cute. They were these hoods that went over their necks and head so that their faces peeked out of a little circle of yarn and of course to top it off the hood made a little point at the top so they resembled little forest ferries or something.
Kids would come running from their houses to shake our hands and say "how are you" in really high pitched voices. Like mechanically high pitched voices, like The Chipmunks. Anyway, most days I would walk Baby Joyce to school which was near the others, but she went at a different time. Once when we showed up they were just finishing morning prayer and so all 900 or so kids came screaming around us. The word for white person/ foreigner is 'Muzengu' so they would all be screaming that. The village kids were everywhere, some of them nicer than others, almost all of them wanting money to buy cake. Again, we are seen as dollar signs. I've gotten used to that.
Most of the kids said I was 'Hairy like a monkey' and tried to convince me that it would be in my best interest if I would shave my arms and legs and possibly even my chest. They loved to pull my arm hair and try to plate it. Little brats!
Really though it was a pretty magical time.
A few random memories:
Mimi brought binoculars with her and one night while letting the kids look through them at the stars and the moon I realized they were would all wave their hands just in front of them trying to touch the moon.
The chickens would not stop laying eggs on the bed in my room
In order to take a shower we would have to get water from the well and then scrunch into a small room at the end of the outhouses and pour the water over us. The stench of the toilets was sick and the red from the dust of the town that settled all over me would pour off no mater how many times or how vigorously I would scrub, the water all ways came off red.
At the end of the day the kids had to sit for an hour and do homework we would help them out by candle light since there was no electricity at first.
When they finally got electricity the kids were SO excited. they would turn the lights on and off and on and off and they LOVED to watch things charge. Seriously. When you would plug something in they would just sit and stare at it.
The village we lived in was Pundamilia, the houses were small mud or brick structures and each had a small garden attached. The town is crisscrossed with small paths and dirt roads. Children are always wondering around, crouched over picking at things on the floor or eating at unripe fruit.
All the local 'stores' and restaurants (called Hotels) and churches were mostly made of tin roofing and chicken wire.
I went to a small one for a 'trim' I tried to explain I just wanted a little cut off, but I ended up leaving with a shaved head. I swear the whole town came around to watch, pressing their faces and hands and peering in through the criss crossed wire.
One day we decided to take the kids to see a movie, which was really just a small shed that had a tv and vcr and some benches set up. The only movie we had was 'The Man From Snowy River.' It was so cute to cram all of us in there and watch it on this tiny Black and White TV!
For fun I picked up Basketball. I actually LOVE it. I'm looking forward to playing more.
On Mondays our day off we would all get up early and primp up as best as we could (Amy somehow always looked HOT and since I only have one pair of pants and two shirts I mostly looked like a red clay hobo. We would take the paths until we reached the Matatu stand and go into Thika. Matatus are basically just vans that people CRAM themselves into at ridiculous amounts and then they speed around and you fear for you life for half an hour or an hour or however long you are taking them while they blast R&B music. Usually the windows are barred so it's really easy to imagine them flipping and bursting into flames and your eminent death while some R&B song called 'Breathless' mocks you from the melting dashboard....
Oh wait, that's just me...
Needless to say it was a few weeks of my life that I will never forget.
We played A LOT of 'Would You Rather' (would you rather die this second or live for five thousand years, would you rather never leave the united states again or never ever go back, etc.)
I loved the kids, well all of them except one, who drove me nuts!
I had a few problems with the orphanage itself and if anyone would like to talk further about that, just let me know. But for the most part it was an amazing few weeks and I can't wait for something like that in my life again.

The day we left Amy and Nisha came into Nairobi with us and we all went and saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Mask and had coffee and ate a ridiculous amount of food (I've NEVER had ugali since the orphanage. I hope to NEVER have it again...)

Paul and I stayed in Nairobi for three days basically just roaming around and taking it in. And then came the last few days...

Comments

1

Hi! First of all thanks for told your experience with Watoto Wa Baraka. For me was great because I am going to go there 12th July in just few days… If you have time I wonder if you can tell me which are the thinks that you don’t like in the orphanage. You said “I had a few problems with the orphanage itself and if anyone would like to talk further about that, just let me know”.
Thanks a lot
My email : janife77@hotmail.com

  Gissel Jun 19, 2008 10:12 PM

2

Thanks for the wonderful narrative. My son is headed for Watoto Wa Baraka also and would appreciate your insights about the orphanage.

Thanks so much.
sawinkler@aol.com

  S. Winkler Jun 29, 2008 1:52 PM

3

Hey, I just volunteered with Watoto in December and January. I loved the children also but would like to further discuss some things with you. Would you mind emailing me? I loved your description of the Matatu!

  Bronnie Jul 21, 2008 7:41 AM

4

I enjoyed reading about your experience with WWB. Like the others who posted comments I am curious to hear more about your criticisms of the organization itself. I, too, and looking to volunteer in 2009 and want to make sure this is the right place for me. I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Christina Hoffman
USA

  Christina Dec 16, 2008 3:38 PM

5

Thanks for a very entertaining read! I am going to volunteer in 2009 and have been considering WWB. Just like all your other responders I'd like to hear more about your'concerns'. Hope to hear from you.

  Caroline Mackenzie Dec 19, 2008 3:32 AM

6

Hey, thanks for sharing your eexperiences! Like the other before me I would also really like to know what it was that you did not like at the orphanage, because I'm planning to spend 2 month there in July and August.
Thank you!

  Lara Feb 15, 2009 6:45 AM

7

Hi, we are looking at volunteering for Watoto Wa Baraka in July of 2009. Could you please fill me in on any experiences that you had either with the orphanage or with the staff that you feel could have been better?
Thank you.

  Ann Lewis Feb 26, 2009 9:31 AM

8

Hi,
It was great to read this description. But, just like everyone else who wrote comments on here, i was hoping you could shed some more light on your experiences with the actual organization? (I assume you can just copy and paste what you send to everyone!) We are looking at applying, but have been a bit disappointed with the slow/incomplete responses we have received from Geoffrey. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
simonworkman@gmail.com

  Simon Workman Mar 11, 2009 1:23 PM

9

Hi,
I am travelling to the orphanage at the end of April 09 and would really appreciate you outlining ay of the problems that you had whilst beig there.
Thank you very much
amy

  Amy Apr 1, 2009 6:37 PM

10

Hi! I am also volunteering with WWB this summer, for the month of August. I appreciated your insights on your experience and was wondering if you (or anyone else who has volunteered with them) had any advice for me, or if you could share your criticisms.
Thanks so much!
Alicia

  Alicia Jun 1, 2009 3:47 AM

11

Like several other people have posted, I'm looking at volunteering as well and I'm curious about the orginization itself. Would you mind sharing your criticisms with me as well?

  Greg Jun 14, 2009 2:29 PM

12

Hi
I am also considering volunteering for WWB in october 2009. It seems like you had a great time with the kids tho I am also very interested in the org it's self. I would love to know what exactly I am getting my self into ! Cheers.

  Elmina Jun 25, 2009 10:20 AM

13

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know I was privileged to be at the orphanage under new management. Its well run and the children are happy. Hopes you get a chance to go.

  David Aug 9, 2009 4:47 PM

14

Like several other people have posted, my daughter is volunteering to WWB as well and I'm curious about the orginization itself. Would you mind sharing your criticisms with me as well?

  Thomas Oct 22, 2009 9:18 PM

15

Hi! I have just been accepted into the volunteer program at WWB and I am trying to make it there in the next week or two. Given my last minute planning, I was wondering if you could give me some insight as to how long it would take to get a visa for Kenya (I am a US citizen) and also which vaccinations I will need. Also anything you think I will need to bring along. I am a 25 year old female traveling alone, do you think this will become an issue traveling to Nairobi at any point? Is there a good chance I will find another volunteer to go on a safari or travel with while I am there? Sorry, lots of questions. Any information you have for me would be wonderful. Thanks, hope all is well!

  Suzanne Nov 6, 2009 1:37 AM

16

Hi, fantastic blog! I am going to be volunteering with WWB in the summer and would really like to know about the issues you had with the organization. If you have a moment I would really appreciate any info you have!

my email is,
saturdayforever@gmail.com

  Emma Feb 19, 2010 3:18 AM

17

Hi, I found you by googling the orphanage. Our daughter Emily is volunteering there right now and she has just been asked to leave. She is heartbroken and very distraught. No explanation given. Geoffrey will not say why and neither will Zach. We believe it has something to do with her conversations with another volunteer, Eric, who was also asked to leave about two weeks ago. Problem is, Emily has no place to go. Her flight out is not until next week, while Eric has a brother in Nairobi so he's staying there.

My question is, what did you experience while you were volunteering? Emily had suspected something about where much of the donations go and yet she was reassured when she talked with Zach that everything was cool. But why are Zach and Geoffrey acting so defensively, as if someone might find something out.

She is very sick (she has typhoid, salmonella and a respiratory disease) and her plane ticket does not take her out of Nairobi until August 4. We are working to figure something out. We know of some places she can go, but they are far. We are hoping and praying that Geoffrey will have a change of heart when he realizes he is basically just stranding her.

Any information you can provide would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

  Gail Jul 28, 2010 11:59 AM

18

Hi, thanks so much for your detailed experience! I'm going to WWB in a few weeks and although I am very excited, I am also slightly unsettled due to it being SO FAR AWAY from everything and if anything were to go wrong...
So it would be FANTASTIC if you could drop me a few lines about your issues so I can prepare myself and know what to expect:
ant.foldes@yahoo.co.uk

  Ant Aug 2, 2010 11:19 PM

19

Hi There

I am due to go to WWB in two weeks and am very curious to hear about others experience. Maybe you could be so kind as to email me? Or maybe others can post their experiences here also?

Thanks!

  blathnaid Sep 14, 2010 10:19 PM

About heartrl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.