Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

Angkor What??

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 2 July 2008 | Views [376]

Well it seems like ages ago now... but we went to Angkor Wat & Angkor Thom on... Sunday? Yes, Sunday. We hired a tuk tuk with some people we met and the 5 of us went to Angkor Thom first. Within the grounds there are multiple things to see. We first went to Bayon, the place known for the giant stone faces. I think out of all the places we saw that day, it is my favorite. I really like the semi creepy faces. We went to Baphuon, but it was shut that day so we couldn't climb it. After that we went to the Terrace of the Elephants. If you see the photo with Julia and a little Cambodian girl... she was chasing Julia around trying to get her to buy something, saying the same thing over and over, sounding like an insect... but cute! From there we were taken to the place that Tomb Raider was filmed with all the trees in it?? I haven't seen it so I can't say, but that's what I was told. There were some massive trees growing, on, in around the ruins. From there we went to the very famous Angkor Wat. This is the nation's symbol, on their money, and flag... and as popular with tourists. It was LITTERED with people. It was hard to enjoy because there were so many people. We were jealous of Mark & Gary who ended up with the place to themselves after staying a little longer after all the tour buses left. We had no such luck. Regardless, it was AMAZING. still very impressive.

The next morning we left at 7am for the journey back to bangkok. The road was RIDICULOUSLY bumpy, but it didn't really bother Julia & I and we slept a bit. We arrived in Bangkok, figured out the bus situation to Krabi, and found that the bus we needed left... in less than 3 hours!  So we went to the southern bus station -- not the tourist places, to get a bus because we had already missed the tourist ones and didn't want to wait overnight. The bus was AMAZING. pretty much like first class on an airplane. reclining (almost full out) seats, cushions, blanket, complimentary coke, and breakfast. It was an overnight trip so we slept... all of it. We arrived into Krabi around 8:30 or so in the morning and were taken to the ferry. From there we were able to get on the 9:30 ferry to Ko Phi Phi...

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.