Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

I'm in love.

THAILAND | Wednesday, 2 July 2008 | Views [393]

I love Ko Phi Phi.


It's actually Ko Phi Phi Don, the bigger of the 2 Phi Phi Islands (the other is Lay -- sp?)and pronounced 'pee pee'. First I will say, the sand in Destin is whiter and nicer... but this stuff doesn't get as much everywhere, which is nice. The island is actually two islands connected by a narrow isthmus which you can walk side to side in 5-10 minutes. There are no cars, no tuk tuks, no motorbikes. Just bicycles and walking. The streets are narrow, and although very touristy, it still seems so much... less so? It's island time here... we don't know the date, the hour, or the day of the week, and we are not bothered in the least.

YEsterday after we arrived in after our 30 hour travel, we went for Thai massages, much needed. From there we walked around a bit and then ran into a guy who had also got a massage and sat with him and 2 girls from England... for hours. we ended up having dinner at this bar on the beach, which is where we were sitting to watch the sun set. After his friends got back from diving and took a nap, they came out to sit with us. We all went a little way down the beach to a bar that does fire shows every night (see photos) and had a great time watching them.

Today we got up early and went diving!! well, I did, Julia came along to snorkel. We both had a GREAT time! I got to see turtles, Moray Eels, Lionfish, Triggerfish, angel fish, MANY coral, a sea cucumber, crazy starfish, boxfish, puffer fish, barracuda, trumpet fish, flute fish, etc. Many of the fish were irridescent or neon in color... which try as I might, probably will not show up in my pictures. I also can't tell which ones are blurry or not, so I apologize for that. ANyway, see the pics. We're catching up on the surprisingly fast internet right now and then will head to dinner and decide what we want to do for tomorrow... maybe just lay on the beach all day!

I love phi phi.

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.