Existing Member?

Family travels

Visiting family in northern-Vietnam

VIETNAM | Monday, 4 July 2016 | Views [362]

Performance by some of the members of the ethnic group in the village. Chris also got to pluck the strings afterwards.

Performance by some of the members of the ethnic group in the village. Chris also got to pluck the strings afterwards.

 

Upon arrival at Hanoi international airport, we were welcomed by my brother and sister-in-law - what a joyful reunion after almost two and a half years! We got to stay in their home for six days and enjoy their warm hospitality. We met some of their close friends, walked around the campus of the university where they study the language and went on several outings together. We had arrived at the end of an intense study time for them, so they enjoyed taking some days off to be with us. 

 

The countryside was beautiful, lush green with many (for us) exotic plants and trees growing. We identified banana trees, tea plantations, rice fields and lemongrass. One farmer was ploughing the field with the help of a water buffalo. The town was lively with little family-owned businesses everywhere. Outdoor markets with lumps of meat and heaps of fresh vegetables, fruit and herbs. Livia took a keen interested in lychees, peeling them herself and spitting out the stone. It was interesting to see market economy in its infant shoes, with very few chains and many small, family-run shops. It seems that most people have enough to get by and emergency health care is available to all who need it. But many also still live in poverty and struggle, especially farmers.

 

One of our outings took us to a theme park by a big lake. We saw crocodiles, monkeys and ostriches in a rather depressing little zoo. Then we took a ride in a carousel. Finally, the outdoor water paradise was a great place for the kids to play and cool down. 

 

On another outing, we visited an ethnic village where the traditional way of living in the Vietnamese countryside is displayed for tourists to see and experience. The village was beautifully laid out and maintained. A friendly guide showed us around. All crops are organically grown and the dishes at the restaurant where we had dinner was an absolute feast to the eye and stomach. We also got to enjoy a cup of tea in a traditional house on poles and listen to a performance on a three-stringed instrument. This was a highlight of our time there.

 

It was sad to say our goodbyes. Today, we have arrived in Hanoi, a bustling city with many tourists. During our later afternoon walk, nobody even came up to take pictures of the kids... They are used to seeing foreigners here. More about Hanoi and Ha Long Bay later!

 

About hannap

Family by Meguro river

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.