Existing Member?

The Awesome Adventures of Hannah and Emma

GAP Adventures Group Trip Week 2... OR Boats and Monsoons Do NOT Mix

THAILAND | Monday, 30 November 2009 | Views [911] | Comments [3]

Our second week of the groupie life started off with two eye-opening days in Bangkok. The first night we went with Ben, Dan and Lewis to a Ping Pong show. All I will say is that judging by the number of middle aged Thai and European couples in the audience "dinner and a show" takes on a whole new meaning in Thailand. The next day the five of us went to ultra modern Siam Square (home to no less than four 8 or 9 story shopping malls) and saw 2012. The film was ramesauce but worth it to expereince standing for the national anthem while a 3 minute montage about the King played across the big screen. After a crammed tuk-tuk ride (five 20-somethings squished into a glorified tin bathtub attatched to a moped) we were off on the dreaded sleeper train to Koh Sok National Park. Little did I know that the sleeper train would be a much welcomed treat on the way back to the BKK.

After settling into our rain forest bungalows, (mine and Hannah's was up on a hill which was a lot of exercise but had an awesome view and was the only one without ants) we went tubing down a river sort of like in Laos, but without the moonshine. I totally failed at tubing for some reason and could never stay in the current? So our super creepy guide had to basically push me the whole way to the Monkey Temple where we got to feed and hang out with monkeys (they even held our hands!). The next day Lewis, Ben, Hannah and I opted out of the group trip and went exploring in the national park. It was all fun and games until we decided to go to the "Panoramic Viewpoint" that turned out to be an hour of stairs and rickety rope bridges (and Jumanji, Indiana Jones and Lost references) only to reach... nothing. The viewpoint was just the middle of the trees? And somehow the stairs that we climbed on the way there were also ascending on the way back? Exhaustion, sweating, cursing and, of course, rainfall are all I can remember from our walk back to the bungalows.

From Koh Sok we took a ferry (or as Tee liked to call it, the "FurLy"... he could get one of the "R"s but not the second? Got to love him.) from Surat Thani to Koh Samui. We had about a 2 hour window of sunshine on Koh Samui before the unceasing downpour of rain commenced but we all trouped out that night for Ann's birthday celebrations.

The next day can only be described as one of the worst experiences of my life. We took a "speedboat" from Koh Samui to Koh Tao... In a monsoon? I have never been that sick in my life (especially in public... rame). I'm convinced that when I am transported to hell, this will be Satan's preferred mode of transportation. Even worse was the change back to solid ground and it took an hour to recover. But recover we did and Koh Tao was a really nice island where we hung out on the beach and at the pool and generally had a great time.

Our last night on Koh Tao we went out on the island with the boys and ended up skipping on the beach with a rope of fire, night swimming, having piggyback races and generally having a rowdy good time. Unfortunately Hannah's camera and my iPod didn't survive the night :(
The next day we said bye to the boys, took 3 Gravol each and knocked ourselves out for the speedboat back to the mainland and the much anticipated sleeper train back to Bangkok and the end of our GAP Adventure!

Comments

1

For reference:

"Rame"....meaning lame, but the "r"s just don't come out very well in Thailand. Ergo, "rame"

  Hannah Nov 30, 2009 10:02 PM

2

great tale as always - Keep having fun so we can live vicariously through you two.

  Unkle Peter Dec 1, 2009 11:27 PM

3

What can i say ...we have snow :(
and thanks hannah for clearing up ramesauce .. i was a little puzzled.

  Bobby Dec 5, 2009 4:08 PM

About hannahandemma


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.