Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Dizzy the Duck

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 30 July 2012 | Views [684]

  Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

As we have been cruising through April and May, there has been plenty of baby ducks on the canal, all really tiny and fluffy with tons of cute factor. We have also noticed there are good momma ducks and some rather careless ones. We have even seen a few poppa ducks taking an active role in rearing the young.

The good momma ducks herd their little ones together, always circling around them keeping a close eye on them, never letting them get too close to people and generally making sure they are safe. The bad mommas, who have now been labelled Floozy Mommas because of their blatant disregard of the babies, especially when there is bread on offer, ignore their babies, let them swim away and as we witnessed  one day, let the gulls swoop down and carry them away for lunch.

In Worcester, we were tied up and had completed a turn around and were already to receive new guests, when Hanna got on the boats looking really upset. When questioned, it turned out she had been trying to help a baby duckling back to its mum, as a group of male ducks had been attacking it.

The floozy momma duck was on the opposite side of the canal and was completely ignoring the plight of her off spring in favour of bread.

We all went out to see this duckling, who was sooooooo small and cute, and still miles away from his mum and still being bullied by the male ducks. He was getting tired swimming around and around and his mum was still ignoring him, so we scooped him up and placed him on the fins at the back of the boat to rest awhile, but he was a bit of a plonker and could not see when he was on a good a good deal, or maybe it was some primal instinct to get back to his momma, no matter how bad she is, and kept insisting on jumping back in the water and trying to swim away, but he had no sense of direction and kept swimming round in circles and getting nowhere fast, hence the very quick decision that he should be called Dizzy.

Trying to be practical and sensible, we all went inside and left him to it, survival of the fittest and all that, but a few minutes later we heard Brigitta shouting “Hannah quick!! Help! Debs!” we dashed outside to see Brigitta desperately trying to push the boats away from the edge as Dizzy swam down between them to a very squashed future. Scooping him up again and saving him from himself, we decided that putting him back in the canal would be tantamount to murder at this point and no-one wanted that on their conscience, but exactly what do you do with a baby duck that hasn’t got the sense to look after himself?

So, pulling on our very limited wildlife knowledge we decided he needed a bed with some grass and water. Raiding the kitchen we found a large Tupperware tub, and Debs went off in search of grass, (if you have ever been to the concrete desert that is Diglis Basin you will know this is no easy task) holding him in cupped hands he was shaking so much, poor thing was terrified, but then if you found yourself suddenly scooped away from everything you had ever known and adopted by four very over enthusiastic giant humans, you would be terrified too!

“Can we keep him? Can we keep him?” was the main question asked, before where will he live? What does he eat? Exactly how do you look after a baby duck? There were grand plans of building a nest box on the roof, training him to follow the boats and trying to work out how to dig for worms.

But, as in all emergencies, the ultimate solution was to call my mum.

Apart from the globally recognised truth that Mums know everything, I know my Mum had raised a gosling called Dodo when I was little (but that’s another story for another day) so on the phone, “Hi mum how are you? Good good, errrmmmm what do we feed a duckling because we seem to have adopted one!”   “Oh yeah, and can he be toilet trained?”

So, just in case you were wondering, or ever find yourself in a similar situation; ducklings eat grubs and worms, or you can go to the pet shop and get special food, do NOT feed them scrambled egg and milk, they will get diarrhoea (and it seems slightly cannibalistic to me) and the thing that was repeated several times, “don’t expect him to live very long, he’s a wild animal”

With this in mind, and after the initial excitement had died down we looked at Dizzy, shaking and shivering in his bed of freshly picked grass and decided that the best thing would be to try really hard to reunite him with his momma- even if she is a floozy.

So Debs and Brigitta headed off with Dizzy in his box to try and reunite him with his family.

Now both Debs and Brigitta swear blind that they found his momma and they swam away into to sunset together, but occasionally at night there is random quacking under my bed, there is definitely one duck that looks more familiar than the others and I do get through heck of a lot of bread......

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.