Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Arriving in Meribel

FRANCE | Thursday, 19 January 2012 | Views [724]

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

After the quiz night everyone was feeling quite rough and we had to deep clean the chalet we were staying in before heading off to Meribel.  Luckily we were not getting picked up till 11, so there was plenty of time to recover, clean and pack.

The bus driver was really nice and as we went through Bourg St Maurice he stopped at McDonalds and we all had burgers. The poor staff wondered what the heck had hit them! 25 hungry, hung over seasonnaires descending at once without notice is quite a scary prospect!

After filling our bellies we continued the journey to Meribel, we waved at Les Arcs as we went past (you can see it up the mountain from Bourg) there was no snow there, and as we climbed the mountain into resort it became clear that there was no snow in Meribel either. There was a quiet hush on the bus as we considered the implications, there are a lot of returners who spent last season without much snow as well, and the prospect of another green season was not good.

This year I am running Chalet Bachal and it is the biggest skiworld chalet in resort, so on arrival,                  everyone was sleeping here until all the staff accommodation was sorted. The cooking training was here and Chalet Fleur des Alps as well and it was chaos, as fast as I was trying to tidy and clean the chalet, people kept invading and making a mess again. Eventually though, everyone moved out and calm and cleanliness reigned- well for about 2 days until the first guests arrived!

Having no snow in the beginning did make staying in the chalet and scrubbing a whole lot more bearable, there’s nothing worse than looking out of the window at beautiful blue skies and mountains full of white powdery snow and knowing that you have to stay in, but then it started dumping down, it snowed, and snowed, and snowed. By this point we had been in France for about two weeks and everyone was getting cabin fever, so on Saturday 10th December we were allowed to go skiing for the first time! It was awesome. There were no guests on resort, still only a few seasonaires, the snow was fantastic, the pistes were empty and we were making tracks in fresh corduroy.

|So after two weeks of scrubbing, polishing and hoovering, we were ready for our first guests who arrived on Friday 16th December, and then the fun really did begin!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.