Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Warwickshire Ring

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 2 June 2010 | Views [318]

Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess.

Today I fell in the canal!

I was stood on the bank tying up the boat and I needed to be on the roof to get a rope, It had been raining all day and everything was soaking, as I put my weight on the foot which was on the boat, SPLASH! I slipped and ended up between the boat and shore, up to my chin in water.

No damage done though, just very soggy feet and hurt pride. And yes, the water really is that shallow that it only comes to my chin.

Apart from Birmingham the Warwickshire Ring is lovely. We have been through Nuneaton, Rugby and are currently moored at a place called Braunston. We have changed canals a couple of times and have travelled on the Grand Union, the Oxford Canal and The Coventry canal.

One night while we were having dinner a herd of calves came down to the canal for their evening drink, another night we were moored next door to the most spectacular Tudor House, with turrets and everything. There was a Heron following us along the canal. He would stand at the side and just as the front of our boat reached him he took off. He did this three times. His wing span is massive and it was good to him so close up. Today we went through a tunnel which was lit with different coloured lights, it was like a night club! The other day we did a really long tunnel and it was really winding. We have a light at the front of the motor boat, but at the back where I Stand it was really dark, I only hit the sides a couple of times..............

We did the Hatton Flight of locks, 21 locks, one after the other- that was a hard morning. While turning locks all I could keep thinking was “I’m going to be a Lean, Mean Windlassing Machine!” lol

And it looks like summer is over. Today I ended up wearing my ski jacket and bobble hat to steer the butty as I was so cold and it was raining, you would never believe it was the 1st June.

India has learnt to jump from the roof of the boat at locks as the boat goes up and down, and then thinks it’s a great game as we chase her around to catch her and put her back on. She also thinks her rightful place is on the roof, watching the world go by. This is ok in fine weather, but she gets cold and wet when it rains, and kicks up such a fuss when she is put inside.

Hopefully when we get back to Warwick on Thursday, there should be some spare time and Lauren and I are going to see the castle. I will take lots of photos and update you all what happens after.

Take care all, I will try not to fall in again before I update next time xxxxxx

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.