Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Catch up

FRANCE | Tuesday, 6 April 2010 | Views [354]

Well Hello there, it’s been a few weeks since my last blog, but I did give you four to read last time!

I decided that as the end of season was approaching fast I had to up my game and start trying new things, so my goal now is every time I go out skiing I have to do a run I have not done before, then hopefully by the time I go home I will have covered everything in resort, including all the black runs!

So off I went, looking for things I hadn’t done and found a red run called Lac, it wasn’t very long and joined up with a blue that I would use regularly. Anyway, it was particularly mogly, very bumpy and icy, not good at all. But with new found confidence I ploughed on, riding over all the bumps and managing to stay upright on the ice. Then disaster. One of the mogles was solid ice and as I hit it, my skis stopped dead, but I didn’t! I went head first into the snow and crashed my knee on the ice. It hurt. But I picked myself up, put my skis back on and carried on home, not thinking too much about it. I had had such a good day skiing and was on such a high nothing was going to spoil my mood.

That evening at about 7pm my knee started throbbing, so I pulled up my trouser leg to see what was happening and my knee was the size of a tennis ball. It was red hot, swollen and sore, and there was bubble of fluid which could be moved about. Not very nice. I had a chalet full of doctors this week, and when they saw my knee they were shocked and horrified. Next thing I knew I was laid on the sofa, ice pack on my knee, leg elevated, while they cleared and set the table and finished prepping tea! Now that is the kind of guests I like.

Over the next couple of days the bruising started to come out, but instead of being on the knee, it was down my calf. The bruising was wicked and very impressive, I have taken a photo. This happened on the Friday and I was told not to ski for a couple of days to rest it a bit, so I did not go out till Tuesday and it seemed ok.

Wednesday was an awesome day skiing. The weather was brilliant, the snow excellent and good company. The boys have been saying I should do a jump in the park, so after talking about it and them giving me lots of tips I decided to go for it. The first time I skied right up to the start of the jump and bottled it and skied round. Taking a deep breath I went for it again and this time succeeded! There are actually 4 jumps in succession but I was going too fast and felt out of control to try the next one, but I did complete the first jump 4 times and landed it every time without stacking it.

Encouraged by this success we then headed off to do a black run which I completed without too much bother. By this time I was buzzing and felt invincible!

There is a restaurant up the mountain called the Arpette and on Wednesday they open late, so instead of heading home we went for drinks there, it was very strange skiing home at 7pm when all the runs are closed, it was quite spooky.

Then we had chilli night for supper, it was cool, everyone mucked in, I made the guacamole, Fiona was directing proceedings, Graham was stirring rice in the boys flat and Ross and Goldie tidied up. All in all it was a really good day, just how days off should be!

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.