Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

pirate night, Annecy and new boots

FRANCE | Monday, 8 March 2010 | Views [532]

Pirate night, Annecy and New Boots

Heheheheheh I like fancy dress! In fact I love it, but to anyone who knows me that should come as no surprise.

We had a pirate theme night in El Latinos the local night club and we all went dressed up as pirates or a boat if you were Ross and Luke.

There were lots of permanent marker tattoos, lots of black eye liner, especially on the boys; (see previous blog regarding that!) lots of eye patches and “AAARRGGHHH” or however it is you spell that noise that pirates make.

Mike loves his Mom apparently, Matt had a naked lady who did contortionist tricks when he bent his elbow, Clarky had a wicked porn star moustache and Gemma went blond. Oh yeah, I had a beard, I think it made me look like dad circa 1980.

Luke’s’ boat got sunk in the first 10 minutes by Ross and ended up a heap on the dance floor, I got pulled by a French lady, I’m sure my boobs would have given away that I wasn’t a bloke, but hey ho, and Ross won the fancy dress prize.

Good time had by all.

This was on the Tuesday night and on the Wednesday we were heading to Annecy for a day out. The pirate theme continued as Tom and Mike rocked up in Full Pirate gear, and those with tattoos could not wash them off. So we spent the day wondering aimlessly round Annecy.

It is a very pretty town; there are wrought iron balconies and little wooden shutters and lots of churches, but no snow.

We have become institutionalised. Take away the snow and our skis and we did know what to do. OMG, what are we going to do in May back in the real world? What we going to talk about if it’s not snow conditions or best runs to do? We could not even find a ski shop to seek sanctuary in.

We did seem to spend an awful lot of time in H&M, but they had the spring clothes in, not at all suitable for the ski resort we were returning to, and lots of high heeled shoes which looked great, but totally useless.

The money I had been saving for a new pair of ski boots was burning a hole in my pocket, but I managed to resist spending it and instead went to intersport on Thursday and got a shiny new pair of ski boots! They are white and I look a bit like a short storm trooper in them, but jeeze they don’t half make a difference to my skiing!

I would have always been a follower of a bad work man blames his tools school of thinking, but with proper boots, when my feet ask my skis to do stuff, my skis respond, instantly, without arguing or waiting 10 minutes like a surly teenager. They still don’t respond to voice commands though. As I hurtle towards a wall of ice shouting “stop, stop, STOP NOW” they don’t respond at all, apparently I need to dig my toes in more for that to work.

Anyway, this new found confidence in my ability to ski meant that Verity and I went to the top of the Aguille rouge, the highest point in resort, and the beginning of the longest run in Europe, and a Black run, (that’s the hardest for those non skiers out there) and we skied down it. Twice. I’m unstoppable now, except of course in minus 37 degrees and blizzard conditions.

I think this brings me up to date, if the internet connection is working strong enough I will put some pictures up as well.

Love to all, stay warm xxx

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.