Existing Member?

Hannah's Adventure Graduated, worked a while and decided enough is enough and took the plunge to book an around the world ticket and travel until the money runs out.

I found Nemo!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 20 December 2008 | Views [461]

My last day trip and this time I was out in a boat, visiting Upolu Cay Reef on the Great Barrier Reef.  It was certainly an early start, meeting down at the marina at 7.30am, this was good though as we were the only boat in this area.  Only 22 people people on the trip for the day and it was bliss.  The weather could have been sunnier so that we could have seen more in the sea, however, can't complain as it was still warm.

We got to go on a glass bottom boat that the crew leave out at this reef.  This is when I spotted a turtle, quite a large one, the only one I saw for the whole day.  I then got to put on a gorgeous stinger suit and all my snorkelling gear.  There is a very small sand island in this area, just big enough for 22 of us, and we started our snorkelling from this point.  The morning snorkelling trip I didn't see many fish, but the afternoon snorkelling at a different location was fantastic.  I bought an underwater camera and must have been in the water for a couple of hours.  I saw some amazingly bright, colourful fish, just hope the pictures come out well.  I did keep looking around for sharks, I still have that phobia!  I was glad of the stinger suit, but I did get stung on the ear, which really hurt for a few minutes!  The crew took us around the reef for part of the day and they were able to inform us exactly what we were seeing.  I wish I could have scuba dived like some of the others, but can't risk putting another hole in my ear!

Lunch was a highlight, prawns, salmon, cold meats, fresh bread and salad.  I think I might have been a little greedy as my plate was a bit fuller than the other people on my table - oh well......not everyday I get to eat like that!  The food kept coming all day, with fresh fruit, cake and cheese and biscuits.  A great day out. 

About hannah_on_her_travels


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.