Existing Member?

Hannah's Adventure Graduated, worked a while and decided enough is enough and took the plunge to book an around the world ticket and travel until the money runs out.

Road trip to the mountains, 267 bends, and a famous waterfall!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 20 December 2008 | Views [3438]

I booked an eco-tour at the start of my time in the land of down under to visit Atherton Tablelands at a place called Yungaburra.  Since then I wasn't too bothered about the trip and just thought it would be a nice day out.  However, this has to be one of my favourite trips I have done.

We had an great guide for the day called Bart, like Bart Simpson as he told us, a lively character who kept us entertained for the whole day.  I didn't know anyone who was going to be on this day trip, but I saw some familiar faces, Phil and Alex, who I originally met on the reef snorkelling with sharks boat in Fiji and keep bumping into them everywhere - I think they are stalking me but they think it is the other way around!

Heading into the mountains was so lovely, for the first time in weeks I actually had goose bumps as there was a slight breeze (a welcome relief to the hot sticky weather we have had since being in Cairns and surrounding areas).  The bus journey into the mountains was my least favourite part as it meant we had to go through 267 bends in the road to reach our first destination.  I am not the best traveller in the world when it comes to windy roads, and what goes up the mountain meant we had to go down the bends too!  We explored the rainforest visiting Cathedral Fig Tree, a rather large tree, Lake Barrine, Lake Eacham for a swimming stop and lunch, Millaa Millaa Falls and Dinner Falls which were great waterfalls to swim in.  Millaa Millaa Falls is the famous one out of the two.  Not only did Peter Andre film the music video to Mysterious Girl here, Timotei Hair Shampoo advert was also filmed at this spot!  I decided to swim in this waterfall.  Took me a while to get in as it was freezing, but so refreshing when I got out.  We also visited craters that had been formed many years ago and found out how they were formed. 

There was an option to stop overnight which I wished I had opted for, as they offered a Platypus tour, and I would have loved to have seen them.  We ended the afternoon having tea and biscuits and got back early evening.  It was a full 11 hour day out, definatly value for money and I would highly reccommend the day trip.

About hannah_on_her_travels


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.