Existing Member?

Hannah's Adventure Graduated, worked a while and decided enough is enough and took the plunge to book an around the world ticket and travel until the money runs out.

Whitsunday Islands - different from the original plan

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [488] | Comments [1]

I got up 7am the next day to see what my options were and a lovely lady called Wendy at reception called around different companies to see what was available and to see if there were any cancellations.

I decided to do a day trip with a company called Ocean Rafting, on a speed boat.  This way I would get to see many different locations in one day rather than just the one on a yacht. 

First stop was Whitehaven inlet.  Magical spot.  So glad my camera decided to work that day as it is one of the top 10 beaches in the world.  We went to a secluded part of the beach for lunch and a dip in the sea.  We were advised to wear stinger suits as there are a lot of jelly fish in the sea at the moment.  It's like a thin wet suit...so looked very sexy.  I will add a picture so you can see, although in the picture I am wearing the suit the wrong way around, no wonder it felt uncomfortable!

In the afternoon we stopped at two different snorkelling spots.  So many different coloured fish and the coral was amazing.  The second stop was more interesting.  The crew threw fish food into the sea and I am not kidding you when I say about 100 fish came flapping to the surface - I didn't enjoy that part. 

Once I was back on board the boat, a guy came swimming to the boat really quickly and then shouted to his girlfriend to get on the boat - he spotted a 2.5 metre shark.  I am so glad I was out the of the water then as I am not kidding you when I say I think I would have pooed myself!

Also when I was on board the boat we saw a huge fish known as a Maori Wrasse fish.  Google it - it's unbelieveable.  It was probably at least half the size of me.  He was very graceful in the water and some people were able to touch him as he came to the surface.  I have a couple of pictures but they don't do him justice!

It was a great day out - however I really want to see more of the Whitsunday Islands and spend a couple of days doing it as that is what I had originally planned.  So I have decided to come back at Christmas time and hopefully be out at sea for a couple of days.

Comments

1

Hey Hannah, you seem to be having a ball! Reading your stories takes to back to doing the same stuff only over 10 years ago! Oh I feel old!
Sorry I haven't been in touch. I hope you are well and enjoying every minute of your trip!
Well this is the start of my second week at home after finishing up work the end of November ... and now I am five days over and still walking around with my big belly, I think this little one is too comfy to make an appearance! Finishing up work was strange, probably a bit of a realility check ... the time is nearly here aaahhhh!!! and I'm going to be a Mammy soon .... I'm excited but scared of the whole birth thing ... but eh has to be done.
Anyway I'm enjoying reading about your travells .. very jealous! You stay safe and look after yourself and I'll let you know when any developments from this end.

Lots of love
Irene

  Irene Bredican Dec 10, 2008 6:28 AM

About hannah_on_her_travels


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.