Existing Member?

Hannah's Adventure Graduated, worked a while and decided enough is enough and took the plunge to book an around the world ticket and travel until the money runs out.

Dingos, lakes and a whole lot of sand!

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 1 December 2008 | Views [426]

Last weekend I was on Fraser Island and had such a fab time.  I decided to do a guided tour so no issues over who was going to drive etc.  There was a total of 20 people plus the driver on my trip. 

Day one - weather didn't look that good.  It was cloudy and rain in the air.  I was beginning to think that the rain would be following me on all the trips I do.  We visited Indian Head which is a viewing point and we spotted turtles and stingrays from the top, Eli Creek which was a refreshing stop, and the shipwreck all in the first afternoon.  We could only swim in the lakes as the surrounding sea is home to bull sharks and tiger sharks, kind of their breeding ground so wise choice not to take a dip in the sea!  We spotted one dingo late afternoon.  They look quite cute dogs, but you are told that they can kill you - so made sure we stayed away from them!

Now as I was doing a guided trip I got to stay in proper accommodation.  They were posh tents with a built in toilet and shower (this is my style of camping!).  20 of us ventured out on the 5 minute walk to suss out the local pub on a Saturday night.  Armed with torches and sticks to beat off the dingos, we took the walk along the sand and stumbled across the pub.  We had been warned that Saturday night was cross dressing night and it was certainly that.  Men of all ages were dressed up in pink dresses.  Only a few women decided to dress as men.  It was packed and they had dance routines for every song that was being played.  Strange place but a very good laugh.  We then went to the beach to see the stars and the sand light up.  This this happens about twice a year, when you walk on the sand it lights up.  There is a technical name for it but I have forgotten what it is.  It was pretty cool though.

Day Two - Began the the day with a walk through the rainforest.  It was the best time of day to do it.  The rest of the day we spent a huge amount of time at Lake Birrabeen which was perfect.  The lakes on Fraser are on top of sand dunes and the scenery is just stunning.  Plenty of photos were taken as it was amazing.  Photos will be uploaded when I am allowed to use USB connections, (this place doesn't allow it).  We visited another lake afterwards called Lake Barrorjim.  This was a totally different lake as the water was red, very odd and I didn't fancy a swim in this lake, although it's meant to be great for your skin. 

Final day we checked out Lake Wabby.  This was a mission to get to taking a 2km trek across sand dunes.  This lake I wanted to dive straight into as we were all so hot by the time we got there.  This lake was green in colour.  Unfortunatly I asked someone to take a picture of me up a sand dune, they burnt their foot on the sand dropping my camera in the sand.  It's possibly broken, working at the moment but making a crunching sound when the zoom is used.  I wasn't amused! I have later found out the person I gave my camera to is clumsey - found out a bit too late for that!   

About hannah_on_her_travels


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.