Existing Member?

Ranch Life Adventures

SOLD!

USA | Sunday, 25 October 2009 | Views [458]

Close friends, Don and Karen of Dreamcatchers Ranch have one sale a year, and we went down to help with the pre-sale dinner. 

So Friday morning we packed up and headed off on the 2(ish)hr drive down to San Marcos. Arriving in time for lunch we had Karen's chili, finishing off with homemade brownies - it was so good, mm mmm mmmmm ;)Karen is a multi-talented women, not only does she run the ranch with her husband, but make jewellery, sew...

Since many of the buyers for the sale were coming for dinner the night before we set up a display room of Karen's jewellery for people to buy, well in the end it looked beautiful and she made a good number of sales that night.


For dinner or supper as they call it here, we dined on brisket, beans and potato salad, with legendary homemade choc chip biscuits for dessert.

Saturday morning and we dress in our Wild Type Ranch finest as we head off to the sale. The sale which is presided with a free lunch - chicken fried steak (dreamcatchers own) + sides. Plenty of cowboys were there, with their fancy boots and stetson hats.

Though the boots I wore are all mine, the hat was on loan from another visitor to Wild Type, who left it behind.

The sale started off very interesting, as you'll see from the pictures, and video that there a 4 men who stand round the front of the ring watching and shouting out the bids to the auctioneer who is called 'the colonel' oh you should hear them when it gets going :) it just can't be expressed properly in words.

As I said, it started interesting, but about an hr in - if your not buying, and invested in the animals it can get a little... boring. but this was only a short sale, about 2&1/2hrs. Zzz haha no i didn't fall asleep, there were points where i could have.....

But i made it through, making me a more authentic cowgirl :) that and the fact that my boots have now been christened - the country way.... only the soles, they still look clean ;)

So after the sale, as we wait to line up the trailer to load up our cow, i get to meet many of Ralph and Sara's friends, a number who I'll be seeing again when i go to church.

Well by 3.30 we were on the road again, this time homeward bound, and just in time too, not long after pulling in Sara gets a call from someone wanting to come out then and have a look about buying a heifer and a steer for showing. As Ralph and i get to work catching up on the chores, and the feeding in pulls a car we presumes is the buyer, instead some electricians need to have a look at a transformer on the far side of the property, so in between putting out the alfalfa bales we show them the direction to go.

Suffice to say, today has been go go go all day.

Tomorrow shall be busy as well, as we delivery 4 pregnant cows to their buying down towards Houston.....

So i leave you here, i hope i haven't bored you to tears with the blow-by-blow of the weekend so far.....

OK so you'll have to wait for the video till I've figured how to post it without needing youtube.....

About hadassah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.