Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

Cusco City

PERU | Monday, 25 November 2013 | Views [250]

First Full day in Cusco. I awake refreshend after getting a good night sleep. Imhabr booked myself on a city tour just after lunch. So i spend the morning updating journal and uploading Galapagos photos. Riverting, I know :-).
I then treat myself to a plate of Lomo salteado, a traditional Peruvian pork dish.
So, with a full stomach I move myself to the meeting point. There are about 10 of us from different hostels and countries on the tour. First stop is Cusco Cathedral. An impressive monument in the centre of the city. We do hear a lot history about it (to which I don't remember much off...). I do remember that the city of Cusco has had 3 earthquakes in its time. One in 1350, one in 1650 and the last one in 1950! 300 years apart from each other. So the god of the earthquakes is represented in a lot of the paintings. Also, of course the Spaniard presence with the Inca Indigineous are everywhere. Pizarro is painted as bad person and all the virgins are wearing skirts in the shape of a triangle because that represents the mountain.
Apparently the real name of Cusco is Cosqo. The Spaniards changed the name :-).
After the cathedral we visit another important temple of Cusco and then hopped onto a bus to visit a few Inca ruins in the outskirts of the city. As we climb the hill we see great views of the city. I must say it is a very pretty city, very colonial and people are very pleasant. Their main business though is tourism. Everything is catered to the tourists.
Our tour takes us to the ruins of Sexywoman (and that is not how you spell it but thats how it sounds :-)). They are very pretty and include large areas of green fields as well what is believed to have been a temple to water.
The tour finishes and I am dropped back at my hostel. A nice simple soup followed by some play time on ipad take me to my resting time.

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.