Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

Santa Cruz Island

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 20 November 2013 | Views [277]


Arriving to the Island of Santa Cruz today. This is a habitated island so it's strange to see houses, more boats and people after a few days of just us.
We disembark at port by zodiac and do a small walk to the Charles Darwin Centre. This has been in place since the 70's and they work to preserve the life of tortoises who are the life and soul reason of the Galapagos Islands. We see different tortoises at different phases in their lifes and we get explained which Island they come from. Not every Island has tortoises left unfortunately. The Island of Pinta is where the famous Lonesome George came from. After his death June last year they have not been able to find anymore of his species. The centre works to reproduce tortoises and look after them until they are of an age when they can be let loose in their Island. We see tortises as you as a few months to 80year old ones. At the same time the centre also rescues badly treated pet tortoises, which unfortunately happens on the Island.
After this visit we are able to stroll back through the town of Santa Cruz and shop a little bit prior to catching the tour bus to take us to pick bikes. A few of us have selected to choose to ride for 3miles in a bikes. Hot and humid it is. Vegetation is fantastic and the hills are there... added to the fact that there gears dont work very well makes the ride challenging :-). On our bikes we arrive a coffee and sugar farm. A local family lives and works of producing these. The process is simple and fascinating and we get to try samples of their produce. There is a sugar liquour that burns your throat that's for sure!
After this visit we are taken to lunch in a farm followed by a visit to farm fields where the tortoises are going pass whilst migrating to different locations on the Islands. There are tortoises everywhere, and not small ones. Slowly moving, munching or judt simply sleeping. The terrain is lushly green vegetation, close to tropical. It is very surreal to watch these creatures who look like E.T and walk slowly.
After about 100pictures of tortoises each... we make our way back into town where there is an option to stroll in the city for an hour or return on board.
The day ends with, again, another succulent dinner followed by a local band and local Galapagos dancers show. Its been a long day and I am ready for bed!

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.