Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

Isabela Island

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 19 November 2013 | Views [263]

And another new Island of the archipelago. Isabela Island. This is the largest of the islands and many years ago was actually 3 Islands. Right now there are actually 6 volcanos on this Island. But again, eruptions are a little bit more diferent than normal volcanos.
So start the day with a hike again ag 7.45am. A 2mile hike over sand and over huge lava rocks. There are not abundances of animals so we listen to the naturalists talk about the history of thr Island. But little do we know we actually get to see our first giant tortoises. We see an adult and about 4 babies. Great creatures. They just sit there and hide their head when they are afraid from us. It's not as if they would be able to run aeay very fast :-). We also see for the first time land Iguanas as well as for the first time paper wasps which are not originally from thr Island.
After the hike back to the boat for some lectures on the Human History of thr Galapagos Islands as well as a video on what happens behind the scenes on the Endevour boat, our boat.
Lunch is a special treat. An Ecuatorian buffet, a feast of food.
After the feast I decide to try sea kayaking in the Galapagos. Nice weather and we kayak around the cliffd to see penguin's, boobies amd sea lions. After this activity back to thr boat for a quick change of clothes to get into my wetsuit for snorkeling. Water though does not cooperate too much as its very murky and we are not able to see a lot. But still nice to be out in the water.
Again, back and quick change of clothes to go for a hike in the Island again but this time on s different place, Tagus Cove. A faster pace hike than normal but great scenary. There is a sea water lake just after a few minutes up the hill as well as a set of graffitti's made by the boats the boats that used to arrive here many years ago. The oldest is from 1836, which is one year after Charles Darwin arrived.
The hike continues up the hill where we get to see the other side of Isabela Island as well as the sunset. Again, another beautiful scenary really.
Back on the Endavour a recap on the day followed by dinner sends me to bed pretty tired!

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.