Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

North Seymour Island

ECUADOR | Sunday, 17 November 2013 | Views [231]

Well here I am in the galapagos. Dream come true really. So, first night on National geographic. Sleep, not much really. Supose i am not used to sleeping on a boat. So, up for a 6.15 stretching class (really, I dont bend so not sure why I chose to do that). Breakfast straight after and we are off for the first hike of the day at 7.45 to North Seymour Island. So in this Island we go for a 2mile hike where the terrain was beachy and along the coast. It's here where I get to see Blue Boobie birds, Sea Lions, Land Iguanas and Frigate birds. Amazing. The animals just don't care that we are there.
After that back to the boat (by the way, how we get to the Islands is always with smaler zodiac's and we can have a wet landing and dry landing's). A quick talk about snorkeling and kayaking set up to get us ready for the afternoon activities after lunch.
I choose deep water snorkeling. I am intimidated by all the animals we can see, but think that since I am here I should go for it! So after i have my gear of wet suit, finn's and mask I go get ready. We have travelled to Rabida Island for this activity. We are taken to the side of the island to start our snorkelling and out into the buddy system. I am with Don from Canada. When you jump in the water feels cold but you forget pretty fast after you see all the fishes swimming below you. Loads, amd loads of different types (which names are too long to remember!) I try to catch as much as possible of the experience with my camera. Towards the end of the allocated swim I get the much scary White tip shark, and not 1 but 3 of them! Scary!!!! But really, they are just laying at the bottom of the sea ignoring us.
After 1h snorkeling back to the boat quickly to get changed for disembarkation on Rabida Island to see the sun go go down. Rabida Island is a red sand beach. The sea lions and cubs are all laying on the beach completely ignoring us. We also get to see loads of Blue Footed Boobies fidhing. Their technique is just amazing. They fly in big groups together over the sea and then plunge into the water st the same time. Mesmerazing to see. We then get to see a vermellion Flycatcher which is a small red bird which is rare to see.
Presented with a perfecr scenary as the sun goes down in the horizon. Truly a fantastic first full day with a lot of activities and unforgetable experience.
By the way, there are species of animals in the Galapagos which are unique to here. This is what they call Endemic Species. I thought thid was a very interesting fact. we are seeing animals you can not find anywhere else in the world. I will try to rememeber which ones they are over the days and let you know!

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.