Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

Introduction to the jungle

ECUADOR | Monday, 11 November 2013 | Views [208]

Remembrance Day apparently. Don't think anyone here in Ecuador celebrates it or knows what it is. Not a lot of sleep from the night before as I had to get up early to catch a bus at 6am.
So on the bus leaving the thermal town of Banos. Let's just say the ride on a bus in Ecuador is always an experience. There certainly doesn't seem to be any speed limits that they follow.... So after a 3h ride I finally arrived to the town of Tena. No time to look as I needed to catch a Taxi to the port. 25 min car ride left me in this remote port with small long canoes parked on the river bed. I was greeted by one of the workers of Anaconda Lodge and helped into one of the little long canoes. I must say I really liked the ride! Half of the time I thought the current would tip us over, but we made it safe and sound. Arrived at the Anaconda Lodge on Anaconda Island. Greeted on my arrival by the owner and shown around. Turns out I am the only guest for at least 1 night. Nice lodge. Clean room with electricity and mosquito nets but no windows, so let's just say the surround system is of a jungle music of creatures making noise :-). Let's see what it's like to sleep with that.
So after getting acquainted with the surroundings I spent most of the morning laying in my hammock outside of my room reading a book.
Lunch time comes along and I drag myself to the main building, it's pretty hot and humid now. It seems my insect repellant is working quite well. I sit on a table alone to be presented with a delicious 3 course meal. It was scrumptious food, or I was very hungry!
After lunch a small siesta in the hammock before I am met by a local guide for a small walk in the jungle and a local Kichwa house. Cesar is my guide and we wLk in between plants and trees learning different curiosities in them. I get to see bananas, cinnamon tree, cocoa tree and fruit, etc... One of the cool things is seeing a Termites nest. Very common in this area. If not treated they can eat full houses. But, if you cut a bit of the termites nest and let the chicken eat the termites you can out the hollow nest on a fire and it will release a good smell and prevent Mosquitos from getting near. Also, apparently if you rub termites on your body it will produce a natural insect repellent. So in case I run out I know where to get some :-).
The hike took us to a local Kichwa home where a local family lives. We are given a bucket of raw meet and sent to the local pond, where 2 caiman's live. Very cute indeed. And they were more scared of me an anything.
After that back to the local house where they showed me how they make their local drink called "Chicha". It's Yuca mashed with water and sugar cane. They let it ferment for about 3-4 days and then it is ready to drink. This is then shared with the people who are visiting. The taste is different, but good.
Next I get served some home made chocolate and let's just say I licked the palm leaf clean :-). The kids are playing around while I am being explained the local tradition. And even though they live in poor conditions they all seem extremely happy and cheerful. There is though a TV in one of the rooms, which makes me realize that even these remote locations are adapting to the changing times.
After speaking to them for a bit more we make our way back to the lodge. Refreshing shower, fantastic dinner and a lovely char with the owners who are from Colombia and Chile sent me to bed feeling very accomplished and very tired.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.