Existing Member?

As Good As It Goetz Dispatches From A Road Warrior's Trek Around The Globe...

A Slight Misunderstanding

GREECE | Saturday, 31 March 2007 | Views [652]

I was looking for an plug adapter to make my U.S. plugs compatible with the European outlets in Athens. After searching fruitlessly myself for a few minutes, I approached a clerk to see if he could help me. After trading a quick "Yasas," (hello in Greek), I proceeded to explain what I was looking for entirely in English.

The perplexed look on the clerks face told me that he didn't speak a lick of English. So, I proceeded to compound his confusion by committing a cardinal sin of international travel, which drives me nuts when I see others do it. I repeated my explanation, only this time I spoke in a much louder tone and with greater enunciation of my words.
As though the crisper words and higher decibel level might some how trigger a miraculous understanding by the non-English speaking Greek clerk standing before me.

When that unsurprisingly didn't work, I decided to employ a round of international charades in a last ditch effort to bridge our communication gap. I curled my hand with the thumb pointing out and then moved it back and forth in a motion that I was sure could be mistaken for nothing other than plugging something in to a socket. The clerk's face suddenly lit up and he motioned for me to follow him down one of the narrow aisles.

When we neared a small collection of hardware items, I was sure that my masterful communication efforts had been successful. So, I was more than a bit surprised when he reached onto the shelf and produced a knife. Evidently my masterful charades had led the clerk the believe I wanted to either wanted to cut something or, worse, stab someone. I wasn't sure which one he was thinking and I was sure I didn't want to know. 


A bit shocked, and slightly embarassed, at the outcome of my nonverbal interaction with the clerk, I dropped the knife and quietly snuck out the front door.  I promised myself that I'd either study my Greek phrase book a bit more intently or ensure I found an English speaking clerk the next time I found myself in a similar situation.  Not to  mention that I think I'll be a little more patient and accomodating the whenever a non-English speaking visitor approaches me for something back home.  

Tags: Misadventures

About gscottie

Me at the culmination of my trek through The Narrows

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.