Existing Member?

As Good As It Goetz Dispatches From A Road Warrior's Trek Around The Globe...

Watch Your Step

THAILAND | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [698]

On one of my few nights in Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand, I walked the small city’s streets at a rather brisk pace focused on making quick work of the twenty minute walk to my intended dinner destination for the evening. Making my best effort to avoid the pestering touts along the way, I perfected weaving in and out of the other people lining the streets and sidewalks in my pursuit of a little sustenance.

About halfway into my speedy stroll, I came upon a group of three men coming the other direction who took up most of the width of the sidewalk. I caught the eyes of one of the men, but the stare didn’t seem to indicate a willingness to move so as to make a little room for me to pass by. Then, I noticed a lamp post about halfway between us and decided to use it to veer around them as we all passed by it. As expected, once we all reached the lamppost, they veered to their right and I stepped in the direction of mine allowing me to successfully clear them and continue on my path. But, as I curled around the lamp post and prepared to step back into the middle of the sidewalk, I reared back in shock when I nearly ran into…an elephant.

In the dimly lit street and my narrowly focused attention, I’d somehow managed to fail to see the substantial pachyderm trailing directly behind the three men. More than a little taken off guard, I jumped back about two feet and right back into the same lamp post. Despite a now aching back, all I could manage to do was stand and stare in bewilderment at the baby elephant now passing me by. Transfixed, I just stood and stared at the elephant meandering down the narrow strip of bars and restaurants accompanied by the three men who were oblivious to the fact that I’d nearly stumbled into their seemingly prized possession. But, I’m sure it would’ve been of minimal concern to them because, while taller than the baby elephant by a foot, it outweighed me by at least a good half ton and it would be safe to assume that I surely would’ve lost that battle.

I nearly forgot my hunger pains as I kept watching the elephant amble out of sight down the other end of the road. I finally continued on towards my dinner destination, but at a slightly slower pace and with my eyes scanning every inch of the sidewalk and street should I happen upon one of the elephant’s relatives. Over dinner, I tried to come up with a reason why three men would be walking a baby elephant down the middle of a busy street. I couldn't come up with a scenario that made sense to me, but perhaps it's just enough to consider it a very in-your-face (literally) exposure to the nuances of being in a different country and culture.  Ultimately, however, I decided that I was grateful for a well placed lamp post that created just enough space to remain a step shy of running right into the lumbering elephant. That step proved to be the difference between being able to eat dinner that evening and possibly being dinner for a half ton pachyderm.

Tags: Misadventures

About gscottie

Me at the culmination of my trek through The Narrows

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.