Existing Member?

As Good As It Goetz Dispatches From A Road Warrior's Trek Around The Globe...

Hooked

USA | Wednesday, 31 January 2007 | Views [779]

I stood in the chest-deep, frothy warm water off Bondi Beach and scouted the horizon behind me. As low tide began to give way to high tide, the waves were breaking unusually high and strong for Bondi. It was a struggle just to make it through the strong riptides and breaking waves to get to the sand bar I was semi-standing on about 75 feet off the beach. My muscles screamed from the effort it took just to stay in one place so I could keep my eye on the breaking waves behind me.

Finally, I picked out a good looking wave, watched it break, and kept my eye trained on the rush of whitewater streaming toward me in the aftermath of the wave’s collapse. About 10 feet before it hit, I turned toward the shore, laid down on my board and began to paddle my heart out. Turning my head back, I saw the bulge of water just about to hit my feet and paddled even harder. Suddenly, the wave picked up my board and me with it, sending us both flying toward the shore. I grabbed both sides of the board just to try to hang on and dismissed any thought of attempting to stand up. Then, I inexplicably decided to give it a go anyway. But, my clumsy attempt to climb on top of the board instead sent it flying in one direction and me in the other. It also sent about five gallons of salt water directly into my lungs, a taste that wouldn’t leave me for the rest of the day.

So began my first foray into surfing. I have no explanation for why I waited until my last full day of a two month stint in Australia to finally take a lesson. But, the wait was worth it as the perfect blue, cloudless sky and unusually big waves proved out. Of course, the excellent weekend weather also brought a bigger crowd to the beach than normal, which was a more than intimidating environment in which to try to surf for the first time. If my ill-fitting wet suit wasn’t a dead giveaway that I was a novice, then my steady stream of blooper-reel quality wipeouts gave the onlookers the best clue for who to watch for some free amusement. The fact that my instructor had to repeatedly point out that there would be no sand to support the foot I kept placing on the beach when we were practicing standing up on the board onshore was probably another good indicator that things weren't going to go smoothly.

But, once I was out in the water with the dozen others in my class, the waves were the only focus of my attention. Obviously, we weren’t learning on the big, or even medium, waves that experienced surfers ride. Instead, we waited until the waves broke then rode the foamy surge that continues after the waves collapse. In the high surf and strong waves, those were still a sizable mounds of water with more than enough force to send me flying uncontrollably toward the shore each time. My goal was to stand up at least once in the two hour session and I’d managed to figure out how to catch the wave and ride it out - laying down, of course - fairly quickly. But, standing up was a completely different issue and I failed to come remotely close to standing atop the somewhat unwieldy piece of foam.

About an hour and a half into the lesson, the stars and waves aligned. I found a broken wave with my name on it, jumped onto my surfboard and paddled furiously. The wave caught the board and pushed me swiftly toward the beach. I brought up my back foot, steadied myself and then brought my front foot forward managing to stay on the board. I pushed myself up and threw out my arms to balance myself as I stood awkwardly crouched on top of the board - but standing no less. For five seconds I got a taste of the exhilarating sensation of riding a wave, small as it might have been. Much like hitting that one good stroke in an otherwise miserable round of golf, it was all I needed to get hooked.

I didn’t manage to stand up again for the rest of the session despite my best efforts at a repeat. But, the one time was all I needed to leave the beach fully satisfied and hungry for more. Leaving Australia now for Thailand, I’m more eager than ever to get back to the beach. I’ll no longer be satisfied to just stand on the sand and admire the crashing waves. Now, I’ve got a new obsession which will hopefully soon than later find me watching the beach again from atop a crashing wave as it heads toward shore.

Tags: Adventures

About gscottie

Me at the culmination of my trek through The Narrows

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.