Existing Member?

Mi Querida Sudamerica

Farmers Strike

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 27 March 2008 | Views [825] | Comments [2]

The president increased the taxes that farmers have to pay to the government. I think its up to 45% now, everyone is banging pots in the streets, the farmers are striking and blocking the roads so they can't transport food. Its been going on for 2 weeks now and some say there will be food shortages. I haven't noticed any shortages, and I doubt the strike will be so successful that the supply will be completely cut off.  

I havent met anyone that agrees with the president. The taxes go to government officials instead of public institutions, roads, etc. The tax is also based on amount of production instead of profit so the smaller local farmers that are less efficient will be affected worse than the large companies. People are also expecting inflation, which they are terrified of because there have been problems in the past. The government also falsified data not to long ago to deny that inflation is occuring.

The political news is the only thing exciting going on here. I've been doing the usual, going out etc. Last weekend I went to an amusment park called parque de la costa with Carolina, Erika, and two new friends of carolina, one from Bolivia, one from the US. We were all together almost the entire weekend and it was a great time, the Chilean's boyfriend was visiting and they joined us Saturday to go out to a club called salon pueyrredon that plays classic rock. It was so fun to recognize songs for a change and it was a fun crowd. 

Next week I'm going to have all my classes (except one because wednesday is a holiday) and hopefully I will have all my photocopies. Its frustrates me that I know that I have things to read, but I have to wait for the text. I'm starting to miss being productive.

Tags: protests

Comments

1

I've been reading about this from home. Very interesting! Thanks for the coverage!

  Adam James Mar 28, 2008 4:04 PM

2

Too much substance abuse and Hebrew huh?

Towers all over again... Hahaha.

I'm caught up on your posts now (I had stopped reading for a bit because all the craziness was just making me worry about you lol.)

I'd be interested to hear more about your AIDS class. I'm taking a seminar on Health in Africa and it would be cool to compare what you guys are learning vs what we are.

We have hot water here again, and I think I put the fear of God into the landlord (finally) because she actually called BEFORE she parked my car into its spot. Hallelujah.

  Mal Apr 2, 2008 9:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.