Existing Member?

My new life begins at LAX a journal of my 3 months living and working in Phnom Penh, and beyond.

Settled

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 25 June 2008 | Views [627]

I’ve been here for almost a month. The 30 day visa I got issued at the airport expires in a few days and I need to get it renewed. The first couple of weeks were really hectic with orientation and training, and the first week of teaching was pretty crazy as well. I just finished my second week of teaching and it seems like I am finally settling into a routine. My weekend is also becoming some what of routine. This last weekend for example, I didn’t do anything new.

On Saturday I decided to go on another bike ride out of the city. This time I went East. I went on the Highway that leads to Ho Chi Minh city. After crossing the Monivong Bridge out of Phnom Penh the roads were terrible for about 5 miles, potholes everywhere. Then the roads turned into the best I had seen in all of Cambodia super wide and smooth, they even had a shoulder for bikes. The weather was great and it was a really pleasant ride. After about 15 miles I stopped at a roadside shack that had cold drinks. Drank a couple really sweet Cambodian drinks and filled up my water bottle. Then I tuned back. The road passed through a corn growing village so I stopped and had a boiled corn and a rest in a hammock.

Sunday I did another Hash House run. Again it was a lot of fun. Met a couple cool new people. The run was in a different location in an agriculture area outside of the city, it was really beautiful. My group got lost of a while and ended up getting really muddy. A few of the local kids ran with us barefoot for the whole 6 miles. Afterwards some of us went out to eat at a Burmese restaurant.

So now it is feeling more like I live here and less like I am on vacation. I probably won’t be having as many new adventures in my time left here. I am still excited to be here, and I’m sure that things will be interesting. For now I might focus my blog on some of the more mundane aspects of my life here in Cambodia. A lot of people have been asking me about my living situation, work etc. Until now I have been so busy with other stuff it seemed kind of silly to write about something like that.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.