Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Saturday 15th of October, Negombo

SRI LANKA | Sunday, 16 October 2011 | Views [434]

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

We leave our best hostel we’ve been in Sri Lanka with a said feeling. The owner was the friendliest dude ever, in the place called Macleod Inn. The view was amazing and the breakfast very tasty. We get on the early bus to Negombo, where we are planning to stay for two days until our flight at 03.00 in the morning, ouch…

When we tried to figure out when the busses would leave, we got the strange answer of, if you’re there around 08.30 there are probably busses leaving then. Right, so they leave at 08.30? No madam, no one know when they leave, they do when they are full enough, but around that time, there are usually 4 busses leaving. Great, well nothing we van do about that, besides just arriving in time, if you can call it in time for something that has no set time of leaving.

As we unload our TukTuk we are herded into the waiting bus, and after they found a secured spot for the surfboard behind the driver seat we once again set of a minute after we get on the bus. It seems they find to white people on the bus reason enough to leave around here. I take my appointed seat next to Sister Mary and Graham try’s to squeeze himself on the little bench as well. This proves very uncomfortable as these benches are defiantly designed on the average size of a slim Sri Lankan dude and not by fare catering for me, Grom and a well fad sister Mary. We all feel relived when Grom decides to take the seat behind me next to a local man. After some time the bus is getting fuller and fuller though and Grom is being replaced by a young even better fed girl, who politely gives up her seat to an elderly lady who gets on the bus later. She is the tiniest women ever. Siting down the top of her head is around my shoulder and she has intriguing blue eyes that make me wonder if she is blind, which she obviously isn’t. She immediately starts talking to me. After concluding I must be Catholic she tells me she is Anglican and grew up in a monastery as her father passed away when she was 1 years old. Hence why her English is so good. She was married for some 50 plus years to her husband who was a good and kind man and gave her two daughters, who both got married and have two grandchildren. She is living with one of her daughters now as he passed away 6 months ago. They were lying in bed when he set up complaining of chest pain. She strokes his arm and then he passed away, having a heart attack. He was 76 years old and she is 78 years now. She tells me she suffers from arthritis and that they were waiting for the bus to arrive for 1,5 hours, and I can tell you, it’s very warm. The poor lady. She still looks very vital and happy though. After she gets off the bus, Sister Mary starts a conversation with me. She tells me she is from a monastery close by Negombo and the have about 48 orphans they take care for. All the men that try and sit down next to me are being sent away by the sister, as that is inappropriate a men siting next to me, a married women and her a non. She entered the convent when she was 26 and now guides other young girls who are joining.

We get off the bus and get a cheap place to stay. Looking back at that we should have gone for a other option as it both just gets on our nerves as the place is not the cleanest and the service Grom had to pay for in the end is non existence.

Off to India so.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.