Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Thursday 4th August 11 - Nasca Peru

PERU | Saturday, 6 August 2011 | Views [393]

I cling to the wall of the very small aeroplane designed for 5 passengers and two pilots. As if it´s going to help me be less nauscious from the pilot helpfully turning the plane on it´s side so we can see the Nasca lines better. Which are awsome by the way. They are made by the Nasca-Wari civilisation between 500 and 1000 AC, by removing the darler soil to reveal the lighter one underneath. It´s amazing to see the perfect symetry of the figures like the condor or the hummingbird. Who are not at all hard to recignise. They´re hudge detailed drawings of a whale an astraunaut and spider among others. They are created in honour of the gods and therefore only visible from the sky.

Some people suggest that the astronaut figure is made after a vist from aliens and this is proof of the acient knowledge they got from this contact. Personlly I feel the figure looks like nothing of the other figures and is not even made on the same surface, so much more likely to be a practical joke some centuries ago.

After we land safe and sound we have some more adrenaline rising activities ahead of us. We get in our sandbuggy with role cage contruction(just in case it roles over.., is that supose to make me feel better?) The ¨do not stretch your arms when we roll over ore they get choped off ´from Grom does not help the matter.

The older looking gentleman who drives the vehicle does restore my fate somewhat, but this doesn´t last long as the man drives like a lunatic. He seems to really want to get the car to roll over as we speed over bumps and down slopes on less than even roads and sanddunes while I cling to Groms arm in fear while he has a big smile on his face. After an hour of desert racing we reach the dunes we´re suppose to sandboard off, which turns out to be not that easy. Grom reasurs me that sand is a lot softer than snow and finds out first hand it´s not. So I decide to go with the slee variation an sit on my board. Which is a lot of fun. Ofcourse mr Fitton needs to try a little jump of a ramp, which turns out, the board is not made for. You can see the result in the photo´s.

On the way back we have a tour through the surrounding area which has some interesting aquaducts and piramids, build by the Nasca-Wari civilization. As well as a cemetery. Which is the most shocking thing I have seen after the temple of sculls in Cambodia, made by the Khmer Rouge. What looked at first like some human remains put together, turned out to be a landscape of small hills. Each of them containing around 10 body´s by the look of it. Slowly surfacing by the erosion of the sand covering them. The heat and the dryness of the dessert must have made the bones well prevered, like the cloths they were wearing. The freacky thing was that we only realised were we just walked over when we were standing in the middle and still had to go back. Apparently there were over 20.000 people buries there, 2000 years ago. And there was no one there, or any boundry there, to stop us from taking anything. So wierd and surreal.

The next day we headed for Lima as there is not much other things you can do in Nasca and we were missing the sea.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.