Existing Member?

The light in your eyes

No money, but still enjoy life.

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 30 April 2014 | Views [319] | Scholarship Entry

My last day in Puerto was so hot, I thought I could never be cold again. I actually thought my ability to shiver was burned out of my body. I lied under my mosquito net, unable to move, convincing myself that the sweltering heat had unraveled and shriveled my body’s proteins beyond function. My neighbor Whing then rescued me from losing my mind – she knocked on the door and invited me to the locals’ beach, in hopes of milder climates.
Stepping in the low water sent a welcome chill up my spine, relief spreading through each fingertip. The air was salty, cool, delicious. Gentle winds tugged at the stray hairs loose around my neck. A crab tried to climb up my leg – I flicked it back into the sea. Whing’s youngest daughter ran ahead, picking shells she thought were beautiful. She came back in a chorus of splashes, showing us her trophies. My favorite one was grey and purple. It matched the evening sky.
When the brutal heat had receded with the sun, Whing asked me to join her for tea. We sat outside the two-room thatched bamboo hut she shared with her five kids, so bare it had dirt ground instead of built floors. We picked at peanuts while she displayed family photo albums and attempted to teach me phrases in Tagalog.
Then – because our imminent farewell would be our last – our conversation stretched long into the night, delving deep into our innermost thoughts. It felt like Whing was trying to imprint a bit of island wisdom in me before I took off again. And although I failed her language lesson, Whing did manage to teach me something else. Something far more important:
“We in Philippines don’t have much money. We live in small house. But look, we listen to music, walk to the beach, have a very nice day. No money, but still enjoy life.”
Whing taught me that there is no excuse but to make the most of life – to insist on happiness. That personal fulfillment isn’t a high-paying job or an expensive home or some other cash reward to be snatched at the end of an ego-centric career. It’s a mentality; a constant choice. No matter what happens, it is up to each person to decide their attitude in approach and thus also, the experience that results.
No money, but still enjoy life – never let anything stand in the way of finding happiness. And as Whing showed me with her infinite hospitality and unconquerable spirit – never let anything stand in the way of being a kind and generous person.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About grace_loves_the_light

There are many different kinds of monks and nuns. Some prefer to spend all their time in private practice. Others, like Fa Si here, believe it is best to realize Dharma's teachings as a contributing member of society. She volunteers, teaches, and of course, uses a cell phone.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.