Existing Member?

running away Traveling south east asia, china, australia, new zealand and america. wherever the mood takes me!

the otherside of bangkok

THAILAND | Tuesday, 4 November 2008 | Views [676]

my monkey on a stick?

my monkey on a stick?

I awoke the next morning to some cow turning on and the lights and making noise while she packed to leave the hostel. Some people have no consideration. I looked across the room and who happens to be in the same room as me but Charlie. I thought it was quite funny. We got talking and I told her I was heading to the weekend market to have a look around. She said that she was heading that way too, if I wanted to hang on we would go together. Sound.

So went to check my emails, and I saw a message from Charlie. saying she was still here. Ha ha. Well I knew that already. I had to hang around Bangkok to get my Chinese visa. I wasted time on Friday not doing anything. And since it was the weekend I had to wait till Monday to get my visa sorted instead and I didn't know how long it was going to take to get it.

Well Charlie. came down and we got the bts to the market. It was fun. Charlie is a cool girl. Found out that she was the same age as me and she was saying that we both were monkeys from the Chinese zodiac. We ended up walking around the market for ages and we both didn't buy very much. We did get these amazing fruit shakes though. It took us atleast a half an hour to drink it. I also found these really nice scarfs. So bought a couple of them. After awhile, the walking around got abit too much for us and we said we just had to get out. So when we found an opening out to the street we took it. We totally weren't where we thought we were. We went off course somewhere. But the market is so big, that easily happens. Charlie was looking for a lucky charm for her friend so we were looking at the stalls along the road. We stopped at this stall and the seller had a some funny relics. I noticed one that had a monkey holding onto a Dick and pointed it out to Charlie. She thought it was brilliant also. She asked the guy what the price of it was. And it was really reasonable so she was going to buy two, and with that price it was kinda cool so I bought one too. The guy selling them put strings on them for us. So Charlie. and I left the market with dicks hanging around our necks. Ha ha.

I was telling Charlie. I was looking for some things for my nieces and nephews and maybe a computer if the price was right.. she told me the place to go was the MBK shopping centre. So we got the bts there which is right beside the paragon that I went to meet ericko at. Charlie was also telling me these falafel place in the paragon which were amazing. So we went there for lunch and they were amazing. Really tasty. We then went to the MBK to have a look around. It was huge, we went up to the floor that had all the electronics and we didn't know where to look. I problem I felt was that nothing had prices so you didn't know how much and also these were stalls so I don't think there would be any guaranty. At this stage we were both getting tired of walking around to much and we were trying to decide what to do. Charlie was saying normally she would go maybe to the cinema but we both knew that there wasn't anything good playing. Then we both go what about the imax theatre? That cartoon movie about going to the moon was playing. We both haven't really been to a 3D movie before so we were quite excited. To we went back to the paragon where the theatre was and went to go see “fly me to the moon” I have to say it was brilliant. I don't think I would like to see it again when it wasn't 3D cause I enjoyed so much. Charlie and I had a good laugh as usual with people looking at us, as we tried to drink the liquids that were floating towards us. And grab food crumbs with our hands. Ha ha.

Afterwards we heading back to the hostel in high spirits. I was wreaked after my Halloween weekend so after dinner I had an early night. Well I tried to. Ended up trying to have a 3 way conference on skype with my parents and my brother rob. But I think the computer I was on was giving an echo on skype so it was hard to hear everyone. So I just talked with rob for awhile but ended up going to bed later that I intended. But that was OK.

Next morning I woke up to noise again from another inconsiderate dorm mate that was leaving and left and went to the TAT main office. When I got there it was a hugh building and I wasn't really sure where to go. But I just had to go to the desk just in front of me. duh! The girl there was helpful, though they didn't do bookings there like other tourist offices just information. So I needing to get my Chinese visa, so she sad to go straight to the embassy which luckily wasn't to far from there. And I was also wondering how to get to Cambodia and she showed me where the northeast bus station was and just said to turn up on the day. I got some free maps from her also, one of Bangkok and one of Thailand. Quite good ones too. So I left there and went to find the Chinese embassy. I found it easy enough. But I was looking for the office you go to, to get the visa which happen to be in a office down a street beside the embassy. But by time I got there I was too late. The office was only open from 9 to half 11 in the morning and it was closed already so I had missed another day. So I had to make sure I got there earlier the next day. So I left there and decided to have a look in the shopping centre that happened to be there. And guess what kind of centre it was but an IT centre. What were the changes of finding that. So I spent the next while prices 9 and 10 inch laptops and what was being offered in the package and I brought this info back and asked my bro. rob about it in a email as we were just talking about it the night before.

Back at the hostel I ran into Charlie. who was hanging out there. She said she wanted to go to lunch so I decided I would go with her. We went to another centre that wasn't to far away from our hostel and we ended up eating at a Japanese restaurant. I had an avocado salad. It was gorgeous. We weren't sure what we wanted to do after, we couldn't go to the cinema again, so we thought we would try to go bowling. So it was back to the paragon. From not knowing what the paragon was to being in the stupid thing every day. Ha ha. But when we got there we forgot about socks and renting shoes. We could have rented or bought, I'm not sure which, socks from them but we didn't want to spend the money especially when we had some back at the hostel. So we left and went to the hostel, where we ran into martina another English girl that was in the same dorm as us. Charlie wanted to go out for drinks that night and martina wanted to come with us, but she was heading to see “fly me to the moon” with another guy from the hostel cause Charlie. and I raved about it so much.

So we were waiting for her at the hostel, for her to come back from the movie but she was taking longer than she be. So we left her a message on facebook, telling her to give us a call on my mobile phone so we could tell her where we were. And we headed off.

We decided to go to the top of sukhummit street where there was suppose to be an Arabia area with a few bars. But when we got off the bts and were walking towards the street we came across the coolest bar ever. It was a volkswagon bus turned into a bar. I fell in love with it. So we had to stop for a drink there. Well it ended up being a bucket that we shared between us. As we were there talking, Charlie. was telling me about this fortune teller she went to see close to there a few night before. We decided that I must go see him too. So after we finished our drink we went walking down the road to find him. There was quite a few different kinds of fortune tellers set up along that road but we had to go to the same one. When we did eventually find him,of course he was busy with with someone else. We hung around for awhile but it looked like he wasn't going to be done anytime soon, especially when it looked like there was also someone else waiting for him. So we decided to go across the road to have a drink while we waited.

When we got across the road, I saw a Mexican restaurant and as soon as I saw it my tummy started to rumble. So we went in to eat so dinner and have some margeritas. Ha ha. I have to say the place was nice and the food was good. And the margeritas strong. Ha ha. When we where finished the with the food the waiter/ess as it was a ladyboy. Asked us was everything alright and of course we went that it was really good. She then asked us another question, I didn't really hear her and I thought she was asking us did we want anything else, Charlie. must have been the same, cause we both went no thanks we're fine. And the waitress just looked at us and said “do you want an egg of a dinosaur?”. It then dawned on us what she said and we burst out laughing. Sorry we didn't here you properly the first time. She was wondering because we answered without any confusion as to why we would want an egg of a dinosaur. It was actually really funny especially after a couple drinks. So we went back to our fortune teller, and when we got there he was with another person. So this time we decided to wait for him. As soon as he was free, Charlie. and I sat down beside him for him to tell me my fortune. He started off reading my palm, saying that I had a long good life instore. He said I had a lot of support in my life. That I was 80% of the time in a good mood and 20% not. He looked at the length of my fingers in comparison to eachother and said my future life will be better than my past life. Can't remember the rest. He then went to look at my facial features. He said that with my nose I would would see money but also have it to spend. Big eyes so not afraid. Big ears I think for power, power kept coming up in his telling. Said I had power, very strong. Ha ha. Last thing he did was got me to pull 5 cards from the deck and arranged them in the positions for my body. For my head I got the number 7 which meant that I could travel anywhere on anything and I would never have an accident. I really liked that one considering I'm doing a lot of traveling. Ha ha. I got an ace which meant power again. So a lot of power I get it. Ha ha. I got an eight which meant there was an old man in my life that supported me and I supported him. And the last two I forget. I have to say it was very interesting. I had never been to a fortune teller before as I was always afraid to hear something really freaky. Some of the things he said was more cool than anything and he just told me what my features said to him about me. Which is kinda like starsigns and such, you either believe it or you don't. Well we left him and went to get the bts back to the hostel but we had missed the last one. So we decided to head back to the cool bar and have one last drink there before we headed back.

Tags: bangkok, bug pub, fortune teller, imax theatre, weekend market

 

About glimmerwing


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.