Existing Member?

Gina, Joe and Justin's Backpacking Experience

Auckland

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 2 December 2008 | Views [515]

Not actually must to tell about this second stop in Auckland, but Gina will kill me if i don't tell   this one story...Soo here you are Gina.

 

Auckland's big tourist attraction is the sky tower, looking at it reminds me quite a bit of the space needle in Seattle.  Im not sure which one is bigger or taller, but im sure if i asked a kiwi  they would say that theirs is twice as big, so for this story we'll go with that ;).  It turns out that it is actually the tallest building in the southern hemisphere.  Of course in true New Zealand fashion, what tourist attraction would be complete without the ability to commercially leap off the top of it..  And disappointed we were not.  The Sky Tower jump is known as New Zealands biggest JUMP and classifies as a BASE jump, whatever that means.  If i remember correctly the jump is 192 meters (about 600 feet), so it's kind of a big deal. 

 

This is where the story can be told two different ways according to who is recalling it.  Me and Joe opted against doing the jump as it was a little pricey and we were planning on 3 days of upcoming diving, whereas Gina and “Canadian Kim...haha” were not planning on diving so therefore could justify the extra expense.  So to make a long story short, Gina and Kim got suited and harnessed up to partake in a life altering explosion of adventure and excitement, and me and Joe were left in the lobby holding purses...Again, even the bystanders saw the humor in the situation and made sure to chime in with their various comments...it was not a proud day.

 

The silver lining to the story is that Joe and I were able to take the ELEVATOR to both the top and bottom and get some pictures of the girls looking ridiculous.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.