Existing Member?

Gina, Joe and Justin's Backpacking Experience

Kaikoura

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 23 November 2008 | Views [741] | Comments [6]

AHHHH! I'm starting to get my photos and my stories jumbled together!!! I suppose it was only a matter of time until i screwed it up ;).  Just incase your looking a the pictures wondering what the heck is going on.  The shell looking things with the bright colors are called KAUA shells and they are all the rage here.  The locals harvest and eat the meat out of the shell.  Which incidently tastes (and looks) like bacon that was left on the table uncooked for 5 months.  It was quite possibly the most vile thing i have ever tasted...  The consensus was the same among the entire group!  Anway, they use the shells to make jewlery, spoons, letter openers, golf balls, twizle sticks, ect ect ect.  They look pretty neato though!

The pictures of the fire come with story too....but what picture ever comes without a great story!  Enroute to Kaikoura we learned that there was to be a HUGE Maorai festival in town that night with a free concert (score!).  The band was called Salmonella Dub and they are apparently huge here, kindof a raggae techno mix not exactly my fav...but the price was right!  Anway, there's a girl who we've traveled with on our bus for a few days.  Her name is Trish (see girl under tractor tire in picture) and she, for lack of a better word is "fun."  An example being, convincing the people at the bungee jump place to let her go for free if she went naked!  So, she brung her "devil sticks" to the concert and put on a show to go with the music!  These are my renditions of how it went down.  Pretty cool!

As of now we've officially left the south island via ferry (4 hour ferry i might add, ugh!).  We arrived in Wellington (the capital of New Zealand...remember that, it will be on the test later). 

Btw.  I expect too see that super zoom picture of my face with the vinyard in the background to be the desktop picture of eveyone who knows me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k

Comments

1

Justin, I cant wait to get home so i can print out that picture of your face and hang it on my wall above the bed!<br><br>-JOE

  gborchers3 Nov 23, 2008 10:07 PM

2

I think we should get copies for our nightstand too!!!!

-GINA

  gborchers3 Nov 23, 2008 10:07 PM

3

Who wrote that?? Justin, don't be offended but your face isn't the first thing I'd like to see when I wake up.

  Gina Nov 26, 2008 7:48 AM

4

Justin!! Stay away from that Trish girl!! j/k
I still don't understand the fire picture, you can explain later.
I hope you guys got to do at least something nice for Thanksgiving :)
You guys have fun and be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Mickie Nov 29, 2008 10:44 AM

5

I think what really happened is Techno Doover got his hands on some primitive "glow sticks" and started a rave party all by himself.

  Dave Nov 29, 2008 6:20 PM

6

ok...so i had to comment...LOL...great job, btw, justin on narrating the trip! :) And when I first heard about the nakie jumper, I too, Mickie, thought stay far away...so we both are in the same boat, LOL! And I also have to agree w/Gina on this one, sorry Justin, Dont want to see your melon on my night stand OR computer :)

I am glad to hear you all are having a great time!! Keep the pics and posts coming!

be safe!!

  Valerie Dec 1, 2008 5:09 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.