Existing Member?

Fleur Tonkin

Rome - Day 3

ITALY | Wednesday, 6 June 2012 | Views [454]

 

Today Joan and I had a nice lazy morning by the pool (which was rather chilly) and the spa (which wasn't any warmer)! Luckily it was a nice warm and sunny day though, so we hopped in and out of the pool to cool down and then warm up again.


In the afternoon we went to visit the Pantheon which was nice; not as ornate as St Peters' Cathedral, but still aesthetically pleasing (especially the dome ceiling with it's hole at the top). I wouldn't have been to keen on visiting when it was raining though!


We wandered around a few alleys and found an amazing hand made glass bead shop (the owner even showed us how he makes them), and a gorgeous family run Gelateria called 'Frigidarium Gelataria Artigranale'. We came across a winery with free liquer tastings. I loved the Nocciole (hazelnut flavour), but the Pistacchio and Limoncello were not to my tastes at all!


Afterwards we went to a square I had read about, called 'Campo Di Fiori', which had good markets. However, by the time we got there it was about 6pm and all of the market stalls had packed up for the day. There were lots of restaurants around though, so we sat and had a drink and watched/listened to several performers who were set up in the middle of the square. There were also several men selling bags and sunglasses, etc. But who obviously did not have a license to sell them, and would swiftly pack up their stalls and disappear when any police were in sight. I'm amazed that they were able to make enough money for the venture to be worthwhile, considering that they packed up and ran off so many times!

Tags: joan willingham

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.