Existing Member?

Fleur Tonkin

The weeks fly by and a visit from Joan :)

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 19 May 2012 | Views [734]

Joan and I :)

Joan and I :)

My first day was a complete breeze, I was pretty sure that it was a fluke and Tuesday proved me right! The girls were pretty good on average though, and the star chart seems to be making a big difference.

I really love having my own room and space on the top floor, and having an ensuite is great too, it's nice to have some time to myself after a full on day. I went to the Camden Markets on Saturday (By very bravely driving through the city!) and loved every minute of it. Camden is a great area with lots of shops, restaurants and pubs - and the markets were great too. I may have spent most of my first paycheck there...!

My second week didn't go so well; I started feeling sick on Wednesday and by Friday morning I was at the Doctor (luckily I had registered with the local practice the week before, and Cienwin had the day off so she was able to take the girls to school for me). The doctor said it was just a virus, and I got through the rest of the day dosed up on cold and flu tablets feeling glad that I had the weekend off.


Joan took the train down from Ipswich on Friday evening, so I pickd her up from Hammersmith, and she came back and stayed the night and then we spent Saturday sightseeing in London. We started the day with a walk around St James park, and then went to see the Horse Guards and watched the 'changing of the guards' ceremony. We headed over towards Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guards there too, but there was some sort of event happening with lots of the Queens' guards in a marching band, but that was good to watch anyway. From there we went to Trafalgar Square and saw Nelsons Column, we had a quick look at St Martin in the Fields' 'Cafe in the Crypt', and then headed to Portobello road markets (which were quite disappointing compared to the Camden Markets). We headed to Harrods and had a competition to see who could find the most expensive pair of shoes (I won, finding a pair for 1,100 pounds, although the Louis Vuitton shoes didn't even have price tags so we suspect that they were more expensive still!) We finished the day in Convent Gardens; browsing around the markets and then in a few awesome quirky shops which I fell in love with (and also found several 'must have' items in!). I have attached some photos of things I bought to pesonalise my new room.
 

On Sunday I was feeling worse again, so I went back to the Doctor on Monday and got some antibiotics.

Tags: camden markets, covent garden, harrods, nelsons column, portobello road markets, st james park, st martin in the fields, the horse guard, trafalgar square

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.