Existing Member?

Kimberley Adventure

Re-emerging from remote WA!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 21 June 2010 | Views [493] | Comments [5]

Hello to all ye faithful FOPS journal followers!

I know it has been an awfully long time between blogs but such is the nature of travelling in remote areas ie. no internet, no telephones, no mobile reception!!  Where to begin with this update....

I think a summary will have to do!!  This is truly an amazing, wild and obscenely scenic part of the world.  We have swum in gorges virtually every day, canoed along Dimond Gorge and walked through an amazing underground tunnel.  We have visited the majestic Mitchell Falls on the Mitchell Plateau, which was worth the gruelling 76kms 2 and a half hour bumpy track to get there!  We have visited a remote coastal community north of the Gibb River Road, Kalumburu and chatted to the local indigenous people about fishing, pastimes and their wonderful town.  Kalumburu was established around 1905 by the missionairies.  It has survived a bombing in World War 2 where 5 people were killed and then a diminishing aboriginal population due to disease.  Today it is a thriving community of over 400 with a large population under the age of 25.  It also has the dynamic Father Anscar, who is an amazing character with the best laugh we have heard in ages!!  He has set up a truly informative museum and is passionate about perserving the indigenous community's culture and traditions.  Put it on your list of places to visit!!!  We have crossed many rivers much to the delight of Si and Ol!  We have enjoyed the best dinners cooking in the camp oven on the open fire - eat your heart our Jack Absalom!!  Ol and Sienna have become expert bird watchers and can name most birds that we encounter.  We have spent 3 glorious days at the Mornington Wilderness Park - about the only area in the Kimberley that is cattle free!!  This ensures a plethora of flora and fauna, some unique only to this area.  Plus they have a great outdoor bar - very welcoming after being in alcohol free communities for a couple of weeks!!

We have got dirt under our finger nails, dust in our beds, and a swim in a gorge counts as a wash for the day.  All in all we are having a glorious, glorious time!!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts - we should be within mobile range over the next few days if anyone needs to contact us on my mobile (ie. Zane!!).

Love and hugs to you all.

FOPS

XXXX 

PS. As I am updating this at the public library in Derby I do not have access to download photos - hopefully next update!!

We are aiming to head off to Broome tomorrow and finally catch up with Sar, Graeme and Daisy who we unfortunately have not seen for 2 weeks since their car decided to play up.

Alas, we have also missed the Williams/Calloway clan in Broome - we are stilling trying to contact you!!!!

Thanks Ms Natoli and preppies!!  Sienna has many stories to share with you all!

Comments

1

Hi Francesca, Paul, Oliver and Si Si,
haven't logged on for a few weeks to see what you have been up to. Glad you are all having a great time on your great outback adventure. Everything is fine with us. Danielle has been on tour (Paris, Brussells, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague and now Vienna). She caught a dose of chicken pox on leaving Germany and during her stay in Prague which made her miserable. But is getting over it now.

Oliver, the socceroos a missing you. Can you make to South Africa by Thurs to play against Serbia since Harry has been rubbed out for a game because of a red card against Ghana. We was robbed (Italian referee). What is it with Italy. Have they got a vendetta against Australia? Not sure if you are getting much news about the world cup there but the Kiwis drew with Italy this morning after they were expected to smash them. Italy now only has two draws in two games. Australia must beat Serbia on Thurs morning to advance to the next stage. So hurry up and get over there Olly.

Stay safe.

Sepp


  Sepp Jun 21, 2010 4:31 PM

2

Delighted to receive the eagerly anticipated update. The time is unfortunately escaping so it’s fantastic that you’re embracing so many magnificent sounding sights and experiences. Maybe we could indulge in a camp oven specialty in our alcohol allowed back yard to hear about it in more detail along with the can’t-wait-to-see snaps. Sounds like Si-Si and Ollie are traveling well and immensely gaining from it too. Super envious about all the river plunges as I am sitting here with layer upon layer warming fingers around a warm cup of sweet ecco. Best wishes for continuing delights in the next few weeks. Travel well and
catch you soon-ish! Love to all. ♥♥♥

  Terri & co Jun 21, 2010 8:36 PM

3

Great to read of your wonderful travels. What a truly amazing learning experience for Oliver and Sienna! Sounds like you are all enjoying it immensely. By the time you get home the nonni's new place will be just about finished so will try and get some pictures on your email so you can get some news from our end. Looking forward to hearing about more of your travels.

Tina

  tina Jun 23, 2010 3:28 PM

4

Dear Sienna,

Are you having a good time? It sounds like fun swimming in the gorges. Are there crocodiles in the gorges? Did you catch any fish?

Do you miss us? We miss you! We can't wait to hear your stories.

From Prep KN and Miss Natoli

  Miss Natoli and Prep KN Jun 24, 2010 2:03 PM

5

Well you don't need to be in the outback to have no internet access. The Batrouney's are finally back online after several days without the internet. Have only just logged onto your journal Pesca and so am reading furiously trying to catch up. It all sounds so wonderful and warm (it's currently a 'refreshing' 10 degrees in Melb!). The boys loved the postcard-thanks Si Si and Ollie. Speak Soon Ant

  Antonella Jun 29, 2010 3:06 PM

About fops


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.