Existing Member?

Kimberley Adventure

Four Wheel Wally

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 27 May 2010 | Views [532] | Comments [2]

Well, it is official - I have ventured into the world of "serious" 4 Wheel driving.  Decided to tackle the most infamous of them all the Gibb River Road yesterday (well 30 kms of it anyway) and head for Emma Gorge.  We were 15 kms in along a very bumpy but not too white-knuckle gripping type of road when we hit the King River crossing.  Ready to turn around and abort, my adventurous and risk-taking children urged me on and we made a safe crossing (and I was decidedly excited!!).  Much of the road is corrugations, mud and a few smooth-ish bits but we made it safely to Emma Gorge, packed our picnic and enjoyed a rocky and very not and sticky walk into the gorge.  It was spectacular - beautiful clear pool with a gentle cascade of waterfall and oh so refreshingly cool. Oliver up to his usual antics in the water with pure delightful abandon - I am sure I am going to find gills on him one day!!  Shame to leave such a beautiful spot but thunder clouds were beckoning and we began the walk back.  Sienna slipped on a rock and somehow landed head first onto the rock in front - a nice little lumpy momento for this adventure!!

Still no word from Paul but tomorrow we head out further along the Gibb River Road to El Questro to cheer him in so hopefully will be able to fill you in on his bachelor-esque adventure.

Thanks for your comments too!  Sep, Oliver is missing his soccer and AFL is all they know up here!  Opa, glad to hear Oma wears you down with her requests - you will be happy to know I do the same to your son!!

PS  There is a spectucular resort at Emma Gorge if anyone ever happens to come up here and want to indulge for a few days (maybe in 20 years time for me!!)

 

Comments

1

Hi "Whally" Pity about that map. It doesn.t show the road all that well. But at least the flag is closer now than the one on Olivers last update.
You seem to be having fun, Maybe you should get Sienna to wear a bike helmet. (or wrap her in bubble wrap bit I guess that would be a bit hot.)
I liked your road condition report. Better than I expected it to be given the recent weather there.
Thinking of you up there is giving me itchy feet. It's been nearly 2 months since we were out and about in Tassie. But we will be on the road again a couple of days after Lyn returns from Crows Nest. (Albiet only just across the border.)
Wish we were up there with you. Cheer Paul on for us will you, although I expect that by the time you read this he will be back with you all stiff and sorry for himself but elated by the great achievement.
Cheers from all down here. I sent your Blog to Nick and Tam so they may take up the cudgel also.
David

  David May 28, 2010 10:26 AM

2

Thanks Opa - I did ask Paul to forward on Tam and Nicks email but you know how slack your son is, so thanks for passing on for us.
X

  fops May 28, 2010 10:50 PM

About fops


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.