Existing Member?

Kimberley Adventure

Lake Argyle and surrounds

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 25 May 2010 | Views [496] | Comments [3]

Did I mention it was hot up here?!!  It is hot and humid but dare I say it the wet weather seems to have finally passed and we have had 3 in a row of sunny weather (and HOT!!!).  We spent the day yesterday at Lake Argle, the largest man made lake in Australia.  Took a lovely sunset cruise which although 3 hours only covered less than one third of the entire lake.  Oliver got his wish just on sunset to have a swim - we were in over 20 metres of pure, fresh water and found we sunk very easily!  So kept Sienna in only for a very short time as I was terrified she would sink and never be seen again!!!

Today we took a few short walks around the Mirima Nat Park which happens to back onto where we are camped.  Despite Oliver's constant whining we enjoyed some wonderful scenary, typical of this area which houses landscapes over 200 million years old.  This small national park is known as the "mini Bungle Bungles" as the rock formations are the same only much smaller.

Am feeling decidedly young as we are camped amongst a sea of grey nomads - all very friendly but we are definitely not up with the complicated level or amount of camping equipment required.  Next door has a washing machine and spinner with them and the largest portable fridge I have ever seen!

No updates from Paul - I can imagine he is hot, muddy and very sweaty but we should find out in 2 days!

Thanks for all your comments - really appreciate hearing from you all.  I will try and keep the blogs coming as regularly as possible although this connection is somewhat temperamental!

XXX

Comments

1

Hi Francesca,
logged into your updates for the first time today and found your updates very interesting. Co-incidentally, Bear Grylls was on last night with his latest adventure, guess where? Yes the Kimberleys. Watched with added interest given where you are at the moment.
Ask Oliver how is his soccer team supposed to keep winning when their star player is not there.

Love Sepp

  Sepp May 25, 2010 1:53 PM

2

Hot?? as I check the window thermometer here now it shows 11 degrees. So you may be right, it could become warm today.
Welcome to the friendly comfortable environment of the nomads. Human natue is such that as time goes on you make yourself more and more comfortable. Did I mention that we are adding walls to our annex for this winter. Actually as I write this I received a phone call to say that the walls are ready for me to pick up today. For years I have resisted the idea of adding tent-like bits to the motorhome but Lyn finally wore me down. I suuspect we will carry them all around Australia and only put them up on the odd ocassion when we park in the one place for a week or so like at a Rally or Country music or Folk Festival. The upcoming Jazz festival at Merimbula seems like a good place to try them out for the first time.
It sounds like you are enjoying yourself while Paul is on the road. I have visions of him plodding along in mud up to his shins carrying his bike over his shoulder along that famous road. Or at least slipping and sliding as he tries to dodge waterfilled potholes. I look forward to seing any photos that eventuate.
I unserstand what its like to have dodgy internet connections. Over the past two weeks I have had Telstra Linesmen out three times working on my internet line and am waiting for him again now as I type this. Lyn has our wireless internet dongle with her at Crows Nest so I am sweating on this line getting repaired again today.

Love to Ol and Si - Oh and you also of course.
David

  David May 26, 2010 9:46 AM

3

Oh I forgot to mention that the wife of a friend of mine also went swimming in lake Argyle when they were up there last and after she climbed back into the boat the guide said "By the way, you do realise that there are crocadiles in this lake?"

Cheers,
David

  David May 26, 2010 9:59 AM

About fops


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.