Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Malay Days

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 17 January 2008 | Views [721]

What was it about the sewer rats, barbeque meat smells and aggressive handbag vendors that drew me back to Kuala Lumpur’s grimy Chinatown?

Maybe it was the unfinished tourist attractions I missed during my first stay...or maybe to visit the monkeys and Hindu shrines at the Batu Caves again...or maybe it was simply the cheapest return ticket from Bali.

Whatever the case, we were in KL - caught up on sleep, laundry and e-mails, so we headed towards the city center to view the famous Petronas Towers. The twin towers are 88-stories high and headquarters to the national oil and gas company. We scored one of the 1,400 free daily tickets and rode the elevator to the 41st floor skybridge connecting the two towers at 170m above ground. A five minute birds’ eye viewing (after a five hour wait) wasn’t complete without a short patriotic film about oil and gas.

Our last tourist attraction in the city was the KL Tower in the Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve. The tower, also called Menara KL is a close relative of Seattle’s Space Needle. Its spherical summit is inspired by a Malaysian spinning top and the Menara KL is the world’s fourth largest telecommunication tower. We bought tickets and rode the lift to the viewing deck (100m higher than the Petronas Towers’ skybridge) for a 360 degree view of Kuala Lumpur. The spinning top doubles as a revolving restaurant but we opted for Indian cuisine at the base of the tower.

From the capital, we bussed two hours south to the historical port town of Melaka. A melting pot on the trade route between China and India – Melaka was formed with strong influences from neighboring Indonesia and aggressive pressure from the Portuguese, Dutch and British. One can still buy little wooden clogs in the Chinatown of Melaka today…

In a downpour, we checked into the Sama-Sama Guest House, found a vegan café, rode a trishaw on a city tour and ate banana roti before watching a couple movies in our drafty, unkempt quarters. We woke in the middle of the night to the piercing sound of Gongs from the nearby Sanduo Temple followed by endless chanting from a mosque down the street.

When morning arrived, it was time to escape the nightly street music and board a bus to Singapore.

Tags: Sightseeing

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.