Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Midnight Travels

INDONESIA | Friday, 11 January 2008 | Views [723]

Our final days on Bali drew to a close passing peaceful hours on Batukaru, celebrating Bea’s birthday and saying our good-byes. I wish Ashley luck as she flies back to the states - packing up for a move to the Bay Area. I am fortunate to have shared the beginning of my journey in the company of a genuine friend. Note to the reader: old college roommates make excellent travel companions.

I am also grateful that Bea decided to blaze her trail to Asia last year. She has been an inspiration for my own travel pursuits. Thanks for the encouragement Bea! She will continue working for the Australian family until April and I have a feeling we might cross paths sooner…

Randy and I spent our last two days in the lavish town of Seminyak on the Southern Coast near Kuta Beach - in a less than lavish hotel called Ned’s Hideaway for $8/night. Around the corner from our hideaway we discovered Zula, a restaurant serving amazing vegan cuisine. We ate there multiple times because in our next destination of Kuala Lumpur, the vegetarian dining was limited at best.

We checked out of Indonesian for a fee of $150,000 Rupiah each and managed to spend the last of our Rupiah paying for overstuffed luggage. (Good luck explaining to the Indonesian airport staff why you are carrying a camping tent.) Where was Kevin when we needed a hand?

Arriving back into Malaysia around midnight, we were stamped into the country hassle-free with 90 day visas. The hassle began shortly after arranging a cab to Chinatown.

We were over charged for the short cab ride because you can’t barter much after midnight. The Red Dragon Hostel could not find our online reservation and a room wasn’t available until 3:30 in the morning. So we roamed the dirty streets eating tofu kabobs and Seven-Eleven snacks to keep our senses satisfied.

Already missing Bali, we checked into our windowless room around four am. Fortunately, we weren’t charged for our first night at the Red Dragon in the room we shared with a rat.

Tags: On the Road

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.