Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Ko Phi Phi Islands & Food Poisoning

THAILAND | Monday, 19 November 2007 | Views [886]

Our second day on Si Bo Ya - an island that doesn't exist in my guidebook or on my map of Thailand - we chartered a long tail boat for a day of snorkeling to the world famous Phi Phi Islands. Unfortunately, the night prior, I was up...or should I say my dinner of fried rice was up and over the edge of our bungalow...

Downing extra water, advil, pepto-bismol and emergen-C drink mix, we set off for a day of snorkeling. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of snorkeling but it was too late to back out now. I know I should like it, but I just don't like to see the scary neon fish or have them touch me let alone try to breathe underwater.

After the two hour boat ride from Siboya to Ko Phi Phi Leh, being submerged in warm, crystal clear water was a relief from the bouncing boat ride mixed with my sick stomach. I even saw some fish and pretended that I liked them so they wouldn't bite me. Ko Phi Phi Leh is part of a national park and where the movie THE BEACH was filmed in case anyone cares. I haven't seen it...something about Leonardo someone...

The next stop was Ko Phi Phi Don - an island nearly destroyed by the tsunami a few years ago- over 700 people were killed on this island alone. Ko Phi Phi Don is almost two islands separated only by a small stretch of land where the little town has sprung back up filled with open air restaurants and bungalows.

Our boat driver had to deliver a package on Bamboo Island and then we headed back to Siboya to lounge in hammocks and solve the problems of the world...yet another busy day.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.